Participants: This course is for staff who want to learn practical skills to informally prevent, manage and resolve workplace conflict.
There are two versions of this course: one for those that lead and manage staff, and another for those with no management responsibility. When booking, please ensure you select the version that is most relevant to your role.
Conflict occurs in every organisation, yet many staff do not know how to handle it. Without the confidence and skills to address issues informally and at an early stage, conflicts are often avoided and left to fester and grow, leading to lower levels of performance and morale. By equipping staff with the skills to effectively manage conflict, organisations will save significant time, energy and money. This course will give staff a deeper understanding of conflict, and provide them with practical tools to identify, manage and resolve conflict at an early stage.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
This session will help you to:
- Examine and understand the difference between destructive and constructive workplace conflict
- Explore divergent conflict management styles, and how these influence decision-making processes
- Practice key communication skills that help to deescalate conflict situations
- Understand the various warning signs and triggers of conflict and how to nip these in the bud
- Understand workplace conflict, and how cultural differences may lead to divergent needs
- Learn the skills necessary to effectively resolve organisational conflict, including how to have “difficult” conversations, where to have these conversations, and how to give “difficult” feedback.
- Develop key strategies and confidence in managing everyday workplace conflicts
- Effectively manage organisational conflict, in order to create a healthier
and more productive work environment
- Demonstrates a commitment to (and promotes) equality and diversity ensuring that UCL is an inclusive environment in which individuals are respected and unacceptable behaviours challenged
- Manages self and others in accordance with UCL policies and contributes to policy development as appropriate
- Demonstrates effective self management and focus
- Manages relationships with sponsors/funding bodies/collaborators/other faculties or other teams to deliver results
- Fosters two way communication and effective team-working .
Pre-course preparation items (questionnaires, exercise and article) will be included in the course joining instructions (see under heading "PREPARATION").
You can find relevant UCL policies at www.ucl.ac.uk/hr/harassment
Desktop Learning topics:
You may also be interested in the following workshops:
Date, time and venue: 1 day workshop
|07 July 2014||0930 - 1700||Engineering Front & Executive Suite|
|14 May 2014||0930 - 1700||Room 339 Rockefeller Building|
- Free for all staff on the UCL payroll
- £160 for UCL Affiliated / Higher Education Institutions / Charities
- £400 for External Applicants
How to book:
Managers - Booking Form
Non Managers - Booking Form
OD Course Contact: Zara Chaudhry