Participants: This course is for you if you are grade 6-8 with leadership or management responsibility, or if you anticipate taking on management responsibility within the coming year.
This session will take a very practical approach to managing and developing people by applying UCL policies and procedures. We will discuss how you as a manager can avoid the common pitfalls associated with dealing with people management and development issues and staying within the law.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
In order to manage performance effectively at UCL you will gain a fuller understanding of how to apply HR policies and procedures, including:
- Recruitment and Selection
- Induction and Probation
- Sickness Absence
- Contact Termination
- Manages self and others in accordance with UCL policies and contributes to policy development as appropriate
- Recruits and manages individuals effectively to create a high performing team
- Demonstrates a commitment to (and promotes) equality and diversity ensuring UCL is an inclusive environment in which individuals are respected and unacceptable behaviours challenged
Pre-course reading / activity:
Participants are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the following policies:
- Recruitment and Selection policy
- Induction and Probation procedures
- Grievance policy and procedure
- Disciplinary policy and procedure
- Sickness Absence policy
- Contract Termination procedure
- Redeployment policy
Desktop Learning topics:
Bob Carey, Senior Human Resources Consultant, UCL About the facilitator...
Fiona Daffern, Head of Employment Policy Development, UCL About the facilitator...
Eileen Harvey FCIPD, Senior Human Resources Consultant, UCL About the facilitator...
Sandra Brown Chartered MCIPD, Senior Human Resources Consultant, UCL About the facilitator...
Meet the facilitators
Click the arrow in the middle of the screen above to view video clip of facilitators Fiona Daffern and Bob Carey.
Date, time and venue: Half day workshop
More dates will be available in the 2015-2016 Academic Year. In the meantime please Register Your Interest by scrolling down the page to How to Book and clicking on the link to the Booking Form. We will then email you when new dates are available.
- Free for all staff on the UCL payroll
- £80 for UCL Affiliated / Higher Education Institutions / Charities
- £200 for External Applicants
How to book: Booking Form
OD Course Contact: Zara Chaudhry