Overview: Leadership in Action is a three-day intensive experiential Leadership Programme designed to prepare researchers for leadership in their chosen research field, or within the wider community.
Participants: UCL Research staff in grades 6 - 8 roles, with little or no previous or current leadership experience.
What you do need is a commitment to learn about yourself, to reflect on and improve on your leadership and to help others do the same.
Venue: Central London (exact location to be confirmed with joining instructions).
The course will help you to:
- Explore the concept of leadership
- Build confidence in your leadership style
- Give yourself more choices in how you lead
- Understand the impact you have on those you are leading
- Influence people towards a common goal
- Identify how these skills can benefit you in your current research role and beyond
What does the course involve?
- Practical, experiential learning
- A chance for all participants to lead a group project
- Support and feedback on your leadership style from expert coaches
Previous participants said:
- “If there's one course you do at UCL, do this one! You learn so much in the space of a few days, about team work, personality, culture diversity, resilience and much more! It's excellent, actually its more than excellent. And also, all the facilitators and course organisers have put so much into this, you can really see it in how well everything works.”
- “Very worthwhile, whether or not you have previously been a leader. Many participants commented that they wished their own leader would attend the course. Could this be you?”
- “This course offers great insights into your leadership qualities and helps identifying your strengths and weaknesses. This helps improving your leadership skills which are so important inside and outside academia. I really enjoyed three exciting and fun days - don't miss it!”
- “One of the best staff development courses UCL has to offer!”
Pre-requisites: Participants are required to commit to all of the Programme dates.
The cost per head for the Programme is £1000, but UCL Research staff may participate for FREE as the costs will be met by UCL HR Organisational Development.
Please note: Successful applicants will be asked to send a £50 personal cheque/cash deposit.*
*The deposit will returned on completion of the Programme. The cheque / cash will be banked in the case of non-attendance or late cancellation.
Researcher Development Framework Categories:
- C) Research Management
- D) Personal Effectiveness
- E) Communication Skills
How to apply? Unvailable at present
Further dates TBC
OD Course Contact(s): Zara Chaudhry / Khiera Yusuf