38-50 Bidborough St
London WC1H 9BT
Tel: +44 020 3108 8829
Sickness Absence Policy
Appendix C: Sick Pay
1. Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is payable for absence of 4 or more days in a row and for a maximum of 28 weeks.
2. Occupational Sick Pay (OSP) will be calculated based on an employee's length of service on the first day of any occasion of sickness absence. Any OSP paid within the previous 12 month period will be taken into account.
3. UCL OSP incorporates the provisions available under SSP. However, total sick pay paid will not exceed an employee's usual contractual pay.
4. UCL reserves the right to withhold OSP if an individual does not co-operate with reasonable requests from management, does not comply with advice from UCL OHS, or does not comply with the requirements within this policy.
5. Neither OSP nor SSP will be backdated where certificates are provided late without a reason acceptable to UCL.
6. In cases where sickness absence is due to a third-party, e.g. a road traffic accident, and the employee is claiming compensation, Occupational Sick Pay should be included as part of the claim and any subsequent reimbursement of sick pay will be payable to UCL.