1-19 Torrington Place
9th and 10th Floors
London WC1E 7HB
Tel: +44 020 7679 1843
THE JOB PLANNING PROCESS
- Division/Institute administration is responsible for ensuring annual Follett-compliant job planning for all Clinical Consultant Academics and Senior Academic General Practitioners on an annual cycle so that returned completed forms can be submitted to SLMS Staffing Manager no later than 1st April every year (or 2 weeks before the anniversary date where Job Plan runs from a later date).
- SLMS Staffing Manager (part of Governance within the Office of the Vice Provost Health), receives completed forms and does a limited administrative or final check and submits on behalf of Deans to UCL and Trust HR and UCL Finance NHS Recharges Office.
Launch Job Planning Round
- SLMS Staffing will aim to launch the new round in the first week of January each year (updating the CA website with Job Plan Template and contacting Divisions/Institutes with up to date spreadsheet and suggested email text to clinical academics).
- Email to go out early January ASAP from Division/institute Managers (DIMs) or their nominee to all CCAs/SAGPs in their Division/Institute/Department with a link to the current Job Plan Template.
- The Job Plan template on the CA website is Revalidation compliant and, for this reason, we regret that no other version can be accepted.
- Job Plans to be submitted to DIMs at least one month before the date of transfer/ appointment to the new contract (see spreadsheet).
- You should encourage submission to you by email.
There should ideally be a single page 4 with all of the signatures (rather than multiple individually signed page 4’s) and e-signatures are acceptable.
Outstanding Job Plans
- Those with Job Plans outstanding from the previous years (as indicated on the SLMS spreadsheet circulated to Divisions/Institutes at the start of each Job plan round) should be asked to submit these by the end of February.
- Any outstanding queries on previously submitted Job Plans should be resolved by the end of February.
- Where these have already been signed on old templates these can be accepted to avoid any further delays.
- Where you are having difficulty obtaining Job Plans please bring this to the attention of theSLMS Staffing Manager so that the Deans can be kept updated (they may be asked to intervene).
- Outstanding Job Plans must be obtained/queries should be resolved before you send me the current Job Plan.
As Job Plans are received
- DIMS do need to ensure that Job Plans are completed accurately and completely (see the Staff Guidance document at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/hr/ca/con_gp/index.php) before they are sent to the SLMS Staffing Manager as incomplete/incorrect documentation will have to be returned.
- All Job Plans require the signature of the Division/Institute Director once complete and prior to submission, even if they are included as a signatory elsewhere on the form.
Submission of Job Plans to SLMS Staffing Manager
- Signed off Job Plans should only be submitted by email to facilitate prompt processing, particularly where pay progression or other additional payments are due.
- Include confirmation of NHS funding for any changes unless these have already been submitted via an OJP, in which case it must be clearly stated in Section 2.6.
- Where any changes have occurred, or where pay progression is due, you will need to complete and save an Annual Job Plan Sip Form before you send the Job Plan. SLMS Staffing Manager will submit this once the Job Plan has been approved
- Job Plans should reach the SLMS Staffing Manager a minimum of two weeks before the anniversary of their transfer/ appointment date, particularly where pay progression is due
NB Delays in submitting Job Plans can result in UCL Finance being unable to recover associated funding from NHS partners, as such payments relate to past financial years. Where reimbursement cannot be secured due to late completion it is likely that Divisions/Institutes will need to meet the costs. It is for this reason that you are strongly encouraged to obtain all outstanding Job Plans by the end of February at the latest.
Submission of Job Plans to HR
- Within 5 days of receipt of New Job Plan SLMS Staffing Manager will electronically sign off and send Job Plans to HR (UCL and Trust) and Finance by email, and submit the AJP where appropriate. Subject to the Job Plan being correct and any supplementary paperwork being provided, or queries being resolved on existing Job Plans.
- We are unable to process Annual Job Plans and forward paperwork to HR for implementation of any pay progression or increase in APAs and/or on-call without the following information:
- A fully signed off Job Plan covering the full 12-month period from anniversary date of transfer/appointment or an annotated and hand initialed Job Plan where the Trust has a fixed Job Plan period
- Any outstanding Job Plans (or Job Plan queries), where the outstanding periods are not covered in the New Job Plan.
An NHS funding letter where there has been an increase in clinical APAs or on-call
- Approval from the Faculty Manager where there has been an increase in HEFCE funded academic APAs or a funding letter where these are grant or NHS funded
- An Annual Job Plan Sip form where there have been any changes (saved but not submitted)
Notification of ad-hoc changes in APA, On-Call, Out of Hours commitments
Where changes are made within the Job Plan cycle (i.e. not already agreed as part of the annual review of a Job Plan) in any given year the Division/Institute must obtain a funding letter (where required) and complete and submit and Out of Job Plan SiP form.
- A further Job Plan is not required; the funding letter is the agreement.
- The Job Plan template now includes a question in section 2 to show where this has happened in order to assist all parties in agreeing new Job Plans and checking them for anomalies.
New Appointments to the CCA/SAGP contract
- SiP forms can be submitted by Division/Institute
- For first appointment to the scale additional seniority must be approved by the SLMS Staffing Manager before entering the appointment on SiP
- When asking HR to make the appointment
- A copy of the SiP form and other appointing paperwork (except references and Right to Work documentation) must also be sent to SLMS Staffing Manager
- This must include the salary confirmation form (for staff who transferred to the scale before joining UCL)
On receipt of the paperwork SLMS Staffing Manager will update HR files and CCA spreadsheet