Why UCL History?
"The History department at UCL is one of the best in the world. Our lecturers are leading researchers in their fields, continually publishing important books and articles that shape the subject. They bring this research expertise into their teaching, which means that our students benefit from the latest in historical research. All the coursework essays you write will be returned to you in one-to-one tutorials, during which you will receive helpful advice on what you did well and what you could improve.
We've completely redeveloped our first year syllabus in order to aid transition into Higher Education. In your first year, core modules train you to work on a group project, and help you to acquire the writing skills needed to produce high quality essays at university level. But you also choose further modules from a wide range of options. UCL's History department is not just an intellectually stimulating place to be; we are also a friendly and supportive department, dedicated to helping our students make the most of the opportunities we offer."
Jason Peacey, Head of Department
10 reasons to study here:
- Small class sizes - no more than 15 students per seminar group (12 for MA classes), plus one-to-one tutorials
- Innovative modules - inventive ways of studying new and old subjects, like our flagship 'Making History' module
- A unique location - 5 minutes walk from some of the UK's most important resources for historians, including the British Library and British Museum
- Leading historians - experience teaching by leading scholars in their fields, centred around cutting-edge research
- Commitment to teaching - our staff all teach undergraduates and postgraduates, and frequently win awards for their teaching
- An international feel - our staff and students come from more than 23 countries
- Unmatched chronological range - from the Ancient Middle East to the present day, study the whole recorded history of human civilization
- A strong record of graduate employment - read about our leavers destinations
- One-to-one support - you will receive not just a grade, but also feedback on how to improve
- A diverse student body - work with talented students from all backgrounds
Read our Undergraduate brochure
Read our Postgraduate brochure