MA Ancient History and MA Late Antique and Byzantine Studies
About the Intercollegiate Degree
The MA in Classics, the MA in Ancient History, the MA in Classical Art and Archaeology and the MA in Late Antique and Byzantine Studies are intercollegiate degree-programmes of the Centre for Hellenic Studies and the Departments of Classics at King’s College London (KCL), Classics & Philosophy and History, Royal Holloway University of London (RHUL), and Greek and Latin and History, University College London (UCL). Modules within these MAs are available to students registered in any of the participating Colleges, subject to the requirements of the regulations of each College. Teaching is divided between the individual Colleges and the Institute of Classical Studies. The Institute of Classical Studies and its Library and the Joint Library of the Hellenic Society and the Roman Society are located within the School of Advanced Study in Senate House in Malet Street. With regard to the requirements for all these MA degrees, students should consult the Regulations,which are published separately, of the College at which they are registered.
The degree is a total of 180 credits' worth of modules, comprising taught modules (a total of 120 credits) and a dissertation (60 credits).
Ancient History and MA Late Antique and Byzantine Studies are Intercollegiate degrees and modules are offered by
other UCL departments and King's College London and Royal Holloway.
Students must choose the following:
MA Ancient History
1. Core Course: HISTGA01: Sources and Methods in Ancient History (40 credits)
2. Module(s) available from the full Intercollegiate degree module list (40 credits in total)
3. Module(s) a) available from the full Intercollegiate degree module list OR b) outside of this, subject the approval of the Degree Tutor (40 credits in total)
4. Dissertation: HISTGA99 (60 credits). A 10,000 to 12,000-word dissertation in the field of Ancient History on a topic of the candidate’s own choice, subject to the advice of tutors.
MA Late Antique and Byzantine Studies (LABS)
1. Mandatory taught language or research skills acquisition module(s) (40 credits)
Greek (beginners - KCL, intermediate - KCL), Latin (beginners - UCL, intermediate - RHUL), Medieval Latin (beginners - UCL, intermediate RHUL/UCL).
HISTGA01 Sources and Methods in Ancient History, HISTGA02 Greek Epigraphy, Elementary Greek Palaeography (RHUL), CLASGG03 Greek Papyrology, Medieval Latin Literature (KCL), HISTGA03 Latin Epigraphy
2. Optional modules from LABS options in full intercollegiate list (40 credits).
3. Optional modules from full intercollegiate module list (40 credits)
4. Dissertation: LABSG099 (60 credits). A 10,000 to 12,000-word dissertation in the field of
Ancient History on a topic of the candidate’s own choice, subject to the
advice of tutors.
Page last modified on 30 jul 15 16:40 by Jasmine Gane