Button - crossed pens


Button - motor board


Button - stacked books


YouTube Twitter Pinterest


For prospective students...

For current students...

  • Conferences

If you are presenting at or participating in a conference you are able to apply for funding from the Graduate School.  For awards of over £250 there are 2 annual deadlines (27 April and 26 October).  For awards of less than £250 you can submit at any time.  You will be contacted directly by the Graduate School if you are successful.

  • Departmental funding for research activities

Current students can apply to the Department for funds towards to research travel, training, study visits, or attending a conference during the academic year.  The two annual deadlines are 6th November and 21st March. 

The application should take the form of a brief letter.  It should provide details of what the funds are needed for and why, making a case that the particular activity is necessary for research or will greatly enhance professional development (applications for money to attend a conference will only be considered if you will be giving a paper, commenting, or otherwise on the conference programme).  The application should also include a timetable and a costed, itemised breakdown of the amount of money needed.  The letter should be accompanied by a supporting note from your primary supervisor.  In cases where some other body – the Graduate School or British Academy, for example – offers funding for the same activities, it will be expected that you will apply to them as well, whenever appropriate.  Please let us know in your application about such other applications. 

The majority of the funds available for Departmental support will be allocated in November however there will still be funds left over for the February deadline.

  • Departmental Travel and Training Funds for All students

The following are available to undergraduate and graduate students:

The Sir William Meyer Fund offers a small number of Travelling Studentships worth a minimum of £150 for travel in order to undertake research for dissertations in topics related to European History or the History of India. 

The Ancient Near East travel fund offers an award for research expenses related to travel in the Near East.

Alumni Association bursaries for travel and training - funding for study travel, language courses etc. 

  • Departmental Travel Funds for Research Students only

The Hale Bellot Fund has limited funds to enable research students in the Department of History to travel to and in the United States and other countries in the Western Hemisphere for study or research.

  • Support your degree with additional courses

If you need to take a course (for example a language course) to aid you in your research, visit Skills Development for courses available within UCL (login requires your UCL username and password).  You can apply to the Graduate School to fund your course.
The Graduate School also has a fund for external courses.

The RHS accept applications from graduate research students for conferences (participating in and organising) and trips.

Page last modified on 26 mar 14 16:09 by Joanna Fryer