- 29 Mar 2012: Neale Lecture and Colloquium
- 9 Jan-27 Apr 2012: Rousseau 300: Nature, Self and State
- 13 Mar 2012: Centre for Transnational History Annual Lecture 2012
- 20 Jan 2012: Special performance of Le Devin du Village
- 25 Jan 2012: Public Talk 'The Thing Is... Magic Manuscripts'
- Wednesday, 29 February: Volterra Lecture
- 20 October 2012: Medieval Diplomatics Workshop
25 Jan 2012: Public Talk 'The Thing Is... Magic Manuscripts'
13 January 2012
Magic was viewed as dangerous, irresponsible and heretical by people in the Late Middle Ages. Yet some medieval people were nevertheless compelled - by curiosity, desire and need - to experiment with it.
Dr Sophie Page will be exploring what magic was and what its practice tells us about the attitudes of medieval people to their universe and the invisible and sacred forces inhabiting it.
The event will be taking place at Wellcome Collection, please see the website for details about registering for this free event at http://www.wellcomecollection.org/whats-on/events/the-thing-is-magic-manuscript.aspx.
Page last modified on 13 jan 12 14:34 by Emma J Patten