- Europe and the Holocaust - Shifts in Public Debates in Poland, Germany and the UK
- Graduate Student Conference: Jewish Spirituality in Eastern Europe
- New publication: The Russian-Jewish Diaspora and European Culture, 1917-1937
- International Graduate Student Conference 2012
- UCL Festival of the Arts May 7-17
- Visions of Judaism and Jewish Community in the 19th Century: The Impact of Sir Moses Montefiore
- ‘Searching for Exile: Truth or Myth?’
- Biblical Hebrew Summer School
International Graduate Student Conference 2012
18 August 2011
Jewish Spirituality in Eastern Europe — A Textual Perspective
The Department of Hebrew and Jewish Studies at UCL is pleased to announce plans for an International Graduate Student Conference, devoted to explorations of multiple aspects of Jewish spirituality in Eastern Europe, to be held on 5th and 6th of June 2012 in London. The conference organizers invite graduate students and recent PhD holders to submit their proposals. We welcome presentations addressing any aspect of the religious history and religious culture of Eastern European Jewry, with an emphasis on their textual products. We are particularly interested in proposals which open up new perspectives and pose new questions regarding conceptual frameworks and traditional definitions used to describe Eastern Europe in the field of Jewish Studies. Topics may include:
- Mysticism and Kabbalah—texts and traditions
- Halakhah in the Eastern European perspective - formative disputes and debates
- Egalitarian and elitist approaches to Jewish religiosity
- Heterodoxy vs. orthodoxy in Eastern European Judaism
- The Holocaust and its aftermath in Jewish spiritual life
- Images of Judaism in secular literature
- The revival of Jewish religious communities after communism.
Please submit proposals of up to 300 words in English, including your name, academic affiliation and e-mail contact, by 1st January 2012 to Agata Paluch.
Conference organizers provide accommodation in London for the duration of the conference. Limited number of travel bursaries will be available upon application.