||PROF Robert West
Professor of Health Psychology and Director of Tobacco Studies
Peer reviewed publications in journals
Click here to return to biography.
- Cross I, Howell P and West R (1983) Preferences for scale structure in melodic sequences. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance 9, 444 460.
- Howell P, West R and Cross I (1984) The detection of notes incompatible with scalar structure. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 76, 1689 1692.
- Devitt G, West R and Jarvis M (1984) Test for assessing tar/nicotine yields. American Journal of Public Health
- West R, Jarvis M, Russell M, Carruthers M and Feyerabend C (1984) Effect of nicotine replacement on the cigarette withdrawal syndrome. British Journal of Addiction 79, 215 219.
- West R, Russell M, Jarvis M and Feyerabend C (1984) Does switching to an ultra low nicotine cigarette induce nicotine withdrawal effects? Psychopharmacology 84, 120 123.
- West R, Russell M, Jarvis M, Pizzie T and Kadam B (1984) Urinary adrenaline concentrations during 10 days of smoking abstinence. Psychopharmacology 84, 141 142.
- West R (1984) Effect of duration of breath holding on expired air carbon monoxide concentration in cigarette smokers. Addictive Behaviors 9, 307 309.
- West R (1984) Psychology and Pharmacology in cigarette withdrawal. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 28, 379 386.
- West R, Jarvis M, Russell M and Feyerabend C (1984) Plasma nicotine concentrations from repeated doses of nasal nicotine solution. British Journal of Addiction 79, 443 445.
- Jarvis M, West R, Tunstall Pedoe H and Vesey C (1984) An evaluation of the intervention against smoking in MRFIT. Preventive Medicine 13, 501 509.
- Cross I, West R and Howell P (1985) Pitch relations in the formation of scalar structure. Music Perception 2, 38 53.
- McNeill A, Jarvis M and West R(1985) Brand preferences among schoolchildren who smoke. Lancet 8449, 271.
- Russell M, Jarvis M, West R and Feyerabend C (1985) Buccal absorption of nicotine from smokeless tobacco sachets. Lancet 2, 1370.
- Russell M, West R and Jarvis M (1985) Intravenous simulation of passive smoking to estimate dosage to exposed non smokers. British Journal of Addiction 80, 202 206.
- Himbury S and West R (1985) Smoking habits following laryngectomy. British Medical Journal 291, 514 515.
- West R and Russell M (1985) Effects of withdrawal from long term nicotine gum use. Psychological Medicine 15, 891 893.
- Russell M, Jarvis M and West R(1985) Use of urinary nicotine concentrations to estimate exposure and mortality from passive smoking in non smokers. British Journal of Addiction 80, 207-209.
- West R and Russell M (1985) Pre abstinence smoke intake and smoking motivation as predictors of severity of cigarette withdrawal symptoms. Psychopharmacology 87, 334 336.
- McNeill A, West R, Jarvis M and Russell M (1986) Do older children take in more smoke from their cigarettes? Evidence from carbon monoxide levels. Journal of Behavioural Medicine 9, 559 565.
- West R, Hajek P and Belcher M (1986) Which smokers report most relief from craving when using nicotine gum. Psychopharmacology 89, 189 191.
- McNeill A, West R, Jarvis M, Jackson P and Bryant A (1986) Cigarette withdrawal symptoms in adolescent smokers. Psychopharmacology 90, 533 536.
- West R and Jarvis M (1986) Effects of nicotine on finger tapping in non smokers. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 25, 727 731.
- West R, Cross I and Howell P (1987) Modelling music perception as input output and as process. Psychology of Music 15, 7 29.
- West R, Hajek P and Belcher M (1987) Time course of cigarette withdrawal symptoms during two weeks of treatment with nicotine chewing gum. Addictive Behaviors 12, 199 203.
- McNeill A, Jarvis M and West R (1987) Subjective effects of cigarette smoking in adolescents. Psychopharmacology 92, 115 117.
- West R and Schneider N (1987) Craving for cigarettes. British Journal of Addiction 82, 407 416.
- West R and Russell M (1987) Cardiovascular and subjective effects of smoking before and after 24 hours of abstinence from cigarettes. Psychopharmacology 92, 118 121.
- Jarvis M, Russell M, Hajek P and West R (1987) Exploratory trial of a nasal nicotine solution as an aid to cigarette withdrawal. British Journal of Addiction 82, 983 988.
- Jarvis M, McNeill A, Russell M, West R, Bryant A and Feyerabend C (1987) Passive smoking in adolescents: one year stability of exposure in the home. Lancet 1324 1325.
- McNeill A, Jarvis M, West R, Russell M and Bryant A (1987) Saliva cotinine as an indicator of cigarette smoking in adolescents. British Journal of Addiction 82, 1355-1360.
- Craven A and West R (1987) Counselling and care of laryngectomees: a preliminary study. British Journal of Disorders of Communication 22, 237 243.
- West R and Russell M (1988) Loss of acute nicotine tolerance and severity of cigarette withdrawal. Psychopharmacology 94, 563 565.
- West R and Schneider N (1988) Drop in heart rate following smoking cessation may be permanent. Psychopharmacology 94, 566 568.
- McNeill A, Jarvis M, Stapleton J, West R and Bryant A (1989) Nicotine intake in young smokers: longitudinal study of saliva cotinine concentrations. American Journal of Public Health 79, 172-175.
- Barwick J, Valentine E, West R and Wilding J (1989) Relations between reading and musical abilities. British Journal of Educational Psychology 59, 253-257.
- West R, Hajek P and Belcher M (1989) Time course of cigarette withdrawal symptoms while on nicotine gum. Psychopharmacology 99, 143-145.
- West R, Hajek P and Belcher M (1989) Severity of withdrawal symptoms as a predictor of outcome of an attempt to quit smoking. Psychological Medicine 19, 981-985.
- West R and Fryer R (1990) Ratings of suitability of probe tones as tonics following random orderings of notes of the diatonic scale. Music Perception 7, 23-27.
- West R, Drummond C and Eames C (1990) Alcohol consumption, problem drinking and anti-social behaviour in a sample of college students. British Journal of Addiction 85, 479-486.
- West R, Hajek P and Burrows S (1990) The effect of glucose on craving for cigarettes. Psychopharmacology 101, 555-559.
- West R and Krafona K (1990) Oral tobacco: prevalence, health risks, dependence potential and public policy. British Journal of Addiction 85, 1097-1098.
- West R and Hack S (1991) Effect of cigarettes on memory search and subjective ratings. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 38, 281-286.
- West R, Hajek P and McNeill A (1991) Effect of buspirone on cigarette withdrawal symptoms and short-term abstinence rates in a smokers clinic. Psychopharmacology 104, 91-96.
- West R, Cross I and Howell P (1991) Representativeness of diatonic structure and detection of out-of-scale notes. Psychologica Belgica 31, 197-216.
- Robinson R and West R (1992) A comparison of computer and questionnaire methods of history taking in a genito-urinary clinic. Psychology and Health 6, 77-84.
- West R (1992) The nicotine replacement paradox in smoking cessation: how does nicotine gum really work. British Journal of Addiction 87, 165-168.
- West R and Lennox S (1992) The function of cigarette smoking in relation to examinations. Psychopharmacology 108, 456-459.
- French D, West R, Elander J and Wilding J (1993) Decision making style, driving style and self-reported involvement in road traffic accidents. Ergonomics 36, 627-644.
- West R, Kemp R and Elander J (1993) Direct observation of driving, self-reports of driver behaviour and accident involvement. Ergonomics 36, 557-567.
- Elander J, West R and French D (1993) Behavioral correlates of individual differences in road traffic crash risk: an examination of methods and findings. Psychological Bulletin 113, 279-294.
- West R, Elander J and French D (1993) Mild social deviance, Type-A behaviour pattern and decision making style as predictors of self-reported driving style and traffic accident risk. British Journal of Psychology 84, 207-219.
- West R, Sammons P and West A (1993) Effects of a Traffic Club on road safety knowledge and self-reported behaviour of young children and their carers. Accident Analysis and Prevention 25, 609-618.
- West R (1993) Beneficial effects of nicotine: fact or fiction? Addiction 88, 589-590.
- West R, Wilding J, French D, Kemp R and Irving A (1993) Effect of low and moderate doses of alcohol on driving hazard perception latency and driving speed. Addiction 88, 527-532.
- West R and Hargreaves M (1995) Factors associated with smoking in student nurses. Psychology and Health 10, 195-204.
- Parker D, West R, Stradling S, Manstead A (1995) Behavioural characteristics and involvement in different types of traffic accident. Accident Analysis and Prevention 27, 571-581.
- Hajek P, West R and Wilson J (1995) Regular smokers, lifetime occasional smokers and reduced smokers: comparison of psychosocial and smoking characteristics in women. Health Psychology 14, 195-201.
- West R and Powers D (1995) Alcoholics' beliefs about responsibility for and recovery from their condition. Drug and Alcohol Review 14, 55-62.
- West A, West R and Pennell H (1995) The financing of school-based education: changing the additional educational needs allowance. Education Economics 3, 265-275.
- West R (1995) Towards unravelling the confounding of deviant driving, drink driving. and traffic accident liability. Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health 5, 452-462.
- Hall J and West R (1996) The role of formal instruction and informal practice in learning to drive. Ergonomics 39, 693-706.
- West R and Hajek P (1996) Randomised controlled trial of ondansetron in smoking cessation. Psychopharmacology 126, 95-96.
- Tsuda A, Steptoe A, West R, Fieldman G and Kisrschbaum C (1996) Cigarette smoking and psychophysiological stress responsiveness: effects of recent smoking and temporary abstinence. Psychopharmacology 126, 226-233.
- West R and Hall J (1997) The role of personality and attitudes in traffic accident risk. Applied Psychology: An International Review 46, 253-264.
- Harvey N, Ewart T and West R (1997) The effect of data noise on statistical judgment. Thinking and Reasoning, 3, 111-132.
- West A and West R (1997) Examination results of pupils offered Assisted Places: Comparing GCE Advanced level results in independent and state schools, Educational Studies 23, 2 287-293.
- West R and Hajek P (1997) What happens to anxiety levels on giving up smoking? American Journal of Psychiatry 154, 1589-1592.
- West R and Willis N (1998) Double-blind placebo controlled trial of dextrose tablets and nicotine patch in smoking cessation, Psychopharmacology 136, 201-204.
- West R, Edwards M and Hajek P (1998) A randomised controlled trial of a 'buddy' system to improve success at giving up smoking in General Practice. Addiction 93, 1007-1012.
- Kozlowski L, Schwartz S, Mehta N, Vogler G, Sweeney C, Jarvis M, West R (1998) Filter ventilation and nicotine content of tobacco in cigarettes from Canade, the United Kingdom and the United States. Tobacco Control 7, 369-375.
- Parrott S, Godfrey C, Raw M, West R, McNeill A (1998) Guidance for commissioners on the cost-effectiveness of smoking cessation interventions. Thorax 53, Suppl 5.
- Raw M, McNeill A, West R (1998) Smoking cessation guidelines for health professionals. Thorax 53, Suppl 5.
- Bower P, West R, Tylee A and Hann M (1999) Patient's perceptions of the role of the general practitioner in the management of emotional problems. British Journal of Health Psychology 4, 41-52.
- West R, Train H, Junger M, West A, Pickering A (1999) Accidents and problem behaviour. The Psychologist, 12, 395-397.
- Raw M, McNeill A, West R (1999) Smoking cessation: evidence-based recommendations for the health-care system. British Medical Journal 318, 182-185.
- Hajek P, West R, Foulds J, Nilsson F, Burrows S, Meadow A (1999) Randomised comparative trial of nicotine polacrylex transdermal patch, nasal spray and inhaler. Archives of Internal Medicine 159, 2033-2038.
- Ussher M H, Taylor A H, West R and McEwen A (1999) Does exercise aid smoking cessation? A systematic Review. Addiction 95, 179-188.
- West R, Courts S, Beharry S, May S, Hajek P (1999) Acute effect of glucose on desire to smoke. Psychopharmacology 147, 319-321.
- West R, Hajek P, Foulds J, Nilsson F, May S, Meadows A. (2000) A comparison of the abuse liability and dependence potential of nicotine patch, gum, spray and inhaler. Psychopharmacology, 149, 198-202.
- West R. (2000) Addressing regulatory barriers to licensing nicotine products for smoking reduction. Addiction 95, S29-S34.
- Bower P, West R, Tylee A, Hann M (2000) Symptom attribution and the recognition of psychiatric morbidity. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 48, 157-160.
- May S, West R (2000) Do social support systems ('buddy systems') aid smoking cessation: a review. Tobacco Control, 9, 415-422.
- West A, Pennell H, West R (2000) New Labour and education spending. New Economy, 7, 92-97.
- McEwen A, West R (2000) Smoking cessation acitivities by GPs and practice nurses. Tobacco Control, 10, 27-32.
- West A, Pennell H, West R (2000) New Labour and school-based education in England: Changing the system of funding? British Educational Research Journal, 26, 4, 523-536.
- McEwen A, West R (2000) Recruiting problems in clinical trials. Addiction, 95, 447.
- West R, McNeill A, Raw M (2000) National smoking cessation guidelines for health professionals: an update. Thorax, 55, 987-999.
- West R, Hajek P, Nilsson F, Foulds J, May S, Meadows A (2001) Individual differences in preference for and responses to four nicotine replacement products. Psychopharmacology, 153, 225-230.
- West A, West R, Pennell H, Travers T (2001) Financing school-based education in England: Poverty, examination results and expenditure, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 19, 461-471.
- McEwen A, Akotia N, West R (2001) GPs' views on new English smoking cessation guidelines. Addiction, 96, 997-100.
- West R, McEwen A, Bolling K, Owen L (2001) Smoking cessation and smoking patterns in the general population: a one-year follow-up. Addiction, 96, 891-902.
- West R (2001) Glucose for smoking cessation. CNS Drugs, 15, 261-265.
- West R (2001) Theories of addiction. Addiction, 96, 3-14.
- West R, Shiffman S (2001) Effect of oral nicotine dosing forms on cigarette withdrawal symptoms and craving: a systematic review. Psychopharmacology, 155, 115-122.
- Ussher A, Nunziata P, Cropley M, West R (2001) Effect of a short bout of exercise on tobacco withdrawal symptoms and desire to smoke. Psychopharmacology, 158, 66-72.
- McEwen A, West R, Owen L (2001) General Practitioners' views on the provision of nicotine replacement therapy and bupropion. BMC Family Practice, 2, 6.
- Junger M, West R, Timman R (2001) Crime and risky behaviour in traffic: an example of cross situational consistency. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, 38, 439-459.
- Hajek P, West R, Lee A, Foulds J, Owen L, Eiser J, Maine N (2001) Randomized controlled trial of a midwife-delivered brief smoking cessation intervention in pregnancy. Addiction, 96, 485-94.
- McEwen A, Preston A, West R (2002) Effect of a GP Desktop Resource (GDR) on smoking cessation activities of general practitioners. Addiction, 97, 595-597.
- West R, McIlwaine A (2002) What do citation counts count for in the field of addiction? An empirical evaluation of citation counts and their link with peer ratings of quality. Addiction, 97, 501-504.
- McEwen A, West R (2002) Can stopping smoking cause hypertension? Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 4,349-350.
- Stead L, Davis R, Fiore M, Hatsukami D, Raw M, West R (2002) Effectiveness of over-the-counter nicotine replacement therapy. JAMA, 288, 3109 (research letter).
- Molyneux A, Lewis S, Leivers U, Anderton A, Antoniak M, Brackenridge A, Nilsson F, McNeill A, West R, Moxham J, Britton J (2003) A clinical trial comparing Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) plus brief counselling, brief counselling alone, and minimal intervention on smoking cessation in hospital inpatients. Thorax, 58, 484-488.
- Ussher M, West R (2003) Interest in nicotine replacement therapy amongst pregnant smokers. Tobacco Control (research letter), 12, 108-109.
- Ussher M, West R, McEwen A, Taylor A, Steptoe A (2003) Efficacy of exercise counselling as an aid for smoking cessation: a randomized controlled trial. Addiction, 98, 523-532.
- Ussher M, West R, Steptoe A, McEwen A (2003) Increase in common cold symptoms and mouth ulcers following smoking cessation. Tobacco Control, 12, 86-88.
- Ussher M, West R (2003) Diurnal variations in first lapses to smoking for nicotine patch users. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, 18, 1-5.
- West R (2003) Bupropion for smoking cessation. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, 4, 533-540.
- May S, West R, Hajek P, Foulds J, Nilsson F, Meadow A (2003) The use of videos to inform smokers about different nicotine replacement products. Patient Education and Counselling, 51, 143-147.
- McEwen A, West R., Mitchell S, Ussher M (2003) Problems identifying pregnant smokers (research letter). British Journal of Midwifery, 11, 648.
- West R, McNeill A, Raw M (2004) Smokeless cessation guidelines for health professionals in England. British Dental Journal, 196, 611-618.
- Ussher M, West R, Hibbs N (2004) A survey of preferences for help with stopping smoking among pregnant women. Patient Education and Counselling, 54, 67-72.
- Ussher M, West R, Evans P, Steptoe A, McEwen A, Clow A, Hucklebridge F. (2004) Acute reduction in secretory immunoglobulin A concentration and secretion rate following smoking cessation. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 29, 1335-1340.
- Powell J, Pickering A, Dawkins L, Powell J, West R. (2004) Cognitive and psychological correlates of smoking abstinence, and predictors of successful cessation, Addictive Behaviors, 29, 1407-1426.
- McEwen A, West R, Owen L (2004) GP prescribing of nicotine replacement and bupropion to aid smoking cessation in England and Wales. Addiction, 99, 1470-1475.
- West R, Hajek P (2004) Evaluation of the Mood and Physical Symptoms Scale (MPSS) to assess cigarette withdrawal. Psychopharmacology, 177, 195-199.
- Shiffman S, West R, Gilbert D (2004) The Assessment of Tobacco Craving and Withdrawal in Smoking Cessation Trials. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 6, 599-614.
- Daniel J, Cropley M, Ussher M, West R (2004) Acute effects of a short bout of moderate and light intensity exercise on tobacco withdrawal symptoms in sedentary smokers. Psychopharmacology, 174, 320-326.
- Ussher M, Sampuran AK, Doshi R, West R, Drummond DC. (2004) Acute effect of a brief bout of exercise on alcohol urges. Addiction, 99, 1542-1547.
- Junger M, West R, Maassen G, Train H, Pickering A, Taylor A. West A (2004) Delinquency and accidents in children. ADHD Reports, 12, 6-15.
- West R. (2005) Time for a change: putting the Transtheoretical (Stages of Change) Model to rest. Addiction, 100, 1036-1039.
- West R, Hajek P, Stead L, Stapleton J. (2005) Outcome criteria in smoking cessation trials: proposal for a common standard. Addiction, 100, 299-303.
- McEwen A, West R, Owen L (2005) General practitioners' views on and referral to NHS Stop Smoking Services. Public Health, 119, 262-268.
- Strecher V, Shiffman S, West R. (2005) Randomized Controlled Trial of a Web-Based Computer-Tailored Smoking Cessation Program as a Supplement to Nicotine Patch Therapy. Addiction, 100, 682-688.
- West R, DiMarino M, Gitchell, J, McNeill A. (2005) The impact of UK policy initiatives on use of medicines to aid smoking cessation. Tobacco Control, 14, 166-171.
- Condliffe, L., McEwen, A. & West, R. (2005) Midwifery staffs' attitudes towards, and smoking cessation interventions with, pregnant smokers. Midwifery, 21, 233-240.
- Davis K, Kumar D, West R (2005) Pelvic floor syndrome: Definition and assessment of a clinical entity GUT 54: 81-82.
- West R, Ussher M, Evans M, Rashid M (2006) Assessing DSM-IV nicotine withdrawal symptoms: a comparison and evaluation of five different scales. Psychopharmacology, 184, 619-627.
- Ussher M, West R, Dishi R, Sampuran A (2006) Acute effect of isometric exercise on desire to smoke and tobacco withdrawal symptoms. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical & Experimental, 21, 39-46.
- West R, Sohal T (2006) Catastrophic pathways to smoking cessation: findings from a national survey. BMJ, 332, 458-460.
- West R, Alkhatib N, McNeill A, Bedi R (2006) Awareness of mouth cancer in Great Britain. British Dental Journal, 200, 167-169.
- Ussher M, West R, Evans P, Steptoe A, McEwen A, Clow A, Hucklebridge F (2006) Reduction in cortisol following smoking cessation among users of nicotine patches. Psychosomatic Medicine, 68, 299-306.
- Lancaster T, Hajek P, Stead L, West R, Jarvis M. (2006) Prevention of relapse after quitting smoking - a systematic review of trials. Archives of Internal Medicine, 166, 828-835.
- Ussher M, Etter J-F, West R. (2006) Perceived barriers to and benefits of attending a stop smoking course during pregnancy. Patient Education and Counselling, 61, 467-472.
- McEwen A, West R, Preston A. (2006) Triggering anti-smoking advice by GPs: mode of action of an intervention stimulating smoking cessation advice by GPs. Patient Education and Counselling, 62, 89-94.
- May S, West R, Hajek P, McEwen A, McRobbie H. (2006) Randomized controlled trial of a social support ('buddy') intervention for smoking cessation. Patient Education & Counselling, 64, 235-41.
- McNeill A, Bedi R, Islam S, Alkhatib MN, West R. (2006) Levels of toxins in oral tobacco products in the UK. Tobacco Control,15, 64-7.
- McEwen A, West R, McRobbie H. (2006) Effectiveness of specialist group treatment for smoking cessation vs. one-to-one treatment in primary care. Addictive Behaviors, 31, 1650-60.
- West R, Gilsenen A, Coste F, Brouard R, Nonnemaker J, Curry S, Sullivan S (2006) The ATTEMPT Cohort: A Multinational Longitudinal Study of Predictors, Patterns, and Consequences of Smoking Cessation: Introduction and Evaluation of Internet Recruitment and Data Collection Methods. Addiction, 101, 1352-1361.
- Dawkins L, Powell JH, West R, Powell J, Pickering A. (2006)A double-blind placebo controlled experimental study of nicotine: I-effects on incentive motivation. Psychopharmacology,189, 355-67.
- Fidler JA, Wardle J, Brodersen NH, Jarvis MJ, West R. (2006) Vulnerability to smoking after trying a single cigarette can lie dormant for three years or more. Tobacco Control, 15, 205-9.
- Shahab L, Jarvis MJ, Britton J, West R. (2006) Prevalence, diagnosis and relation to tobacco dependence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in a nationally representative population sample. Thorax, 61, 1043-7.
- Zatonski W, Cedzynska M, Tutka P, West R (2006) An uncontrolled trial of cytisine (Tabex) for smoking cessation. Tobacco Control, 15, 481-484.
- Strecher V, Shiffman S, West R (2006) Moderators and mediators of a Web-based computer-tailored smoking cessation program among nicotine patch users. Nicotine& Tobacco Research, 8, S95-S101.
- Fidler J, West R, Jarvis MJ, Wardle J (2006) Early dating predicts smoking during adolescence: a prospective study. Addiction, 101, 1805-13.
- Tonnesen P, Carrozzi L, Fagerstrom KO, Gratziou C, Jimenez-Ruiz C, Nardini S, Viegi G, Lazzaro C, Campell IA, Dagli E, West R. (2007) Smoking cessation in patients with respiratory diseases: a high priority, integral component of therapy. European Respiratory Journal, 207, 390-417.
- Dawkins L, Powell JH, West R, Powell J, Pickering A. (2007)A double-blind placebo controlled experimental study of nicotine: II -effects on response inhibition and executive functioning. Psychopharmacology, 190, 457-167.
- West R, Zatonski W, Przewozniak K, Jarvis M (2007) Can we trust national smoking prevalence figures? Discrepancies between biochemically-assessed and self-reported smoking rates in three countries. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 16, 820-822.
- West R (2007) The clinical significance of 'small' effects of smoking cessation treatments. Addiction, 102, 506-509.
- West R, Zhou X (2007) Is nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation effective in the "real world"? Findings from a prospective multinational cohort study. Thorax Published Online First: doi:10.1136/thx.2007.078758
- Holloway E, West R (2007) Integrated breathing and relaxation training (the Papworth Method) for adults with asthma in primary care: a randomised controlled trial. Thorax Published Online First: doi:10.1136/thx.2006.07643
- Britton J, McNeill A, Arnott D, West R, Godfrey C. (2007) Assessing drug-related harm (letter). Lancet, 369, 1856-7.
- Fidler JA, West R, Van Jaarsveld CH, Jarvis MJ, Wardle J. (2007) Does smoking in adolescence affect body mass index, waist or height? Findings from a longitudinal study. Addiction, 102, 1493-1501.
- Ussher M, West R, McEwen A, Taylor A, Steptoe A. (2007) Randomized controlled trial of physical activity counseling as an aid to smoking cessation: 12 month follow-up. Addict Behav. [Epub ahead of print]
- May S, West R, Hajek P, McEwen A, McRobbie H (2007) Social support and success at stopping smoking. Journal of Smoking Cessation, 2, 47-53.
- West R, West A (In press) Vers un modèle synthétique de la motivation (théorie PRIME) et son application dans la compréhension des addictions. Alcoologie et Addictologie.
- Shahab L, West R, McNeill A (In press) The feasibility of measuring puffing behaviour in Roll-Your-Own cigarette smokers. Tobacco Control
- Etter JF, Lukas R, Benowitz N, West R, Dresler C (In press) Cytisine for smoking cessation: a research agenda. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
- Fidler JA, West R, van Jaarsveld C, Jarvis MJ, Wardle J (In Press) Smoking status of step parents as a risk factor for smoking in adolescence. Addiction.
- Thyrian J, Panagiotakos D, Polychronopoulos E, West R, Zatonski W, John U (In Press) The relation between smokers´ motivation to quit and intensity of tobacco control at the population level; a comparison of five European countries. BMC Public Health.
- Hall W, West R (In Press) Thinking about the unthinkable a de facto prohibition on smoked tobacco products. Addiction.
This page last modified 14 January, 2008 by Mark Livermore
+44 (0)20 7679 6633
+44 (0)20 7813 2848
Postal address: Health Behaviour Research Centre, Department of Epidemiology & Public Health,
UCL, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
Office: Room 226, Brook House, 2-16 Torrington Place, London