- ABOUT US
- GET INVOLVED
- CASE STUDIES
- OUR COMMITMENTS
Published: Jan 20, 2015 4:00:00 PM
Never ridden a bike before but want to try? Got a new bike and looking for advice on good routes? Ride a little but wish you were more confident? Just want a free coffee and to chat about bikes? More...
Published: Jan 12, 2015 11:08:00 AM
Congratulations to everyone who joined in with the Christmas Switch Off. The savings you’ve helped make really is proof that we can all play a part in improving UCL’s environmental impact. More...
Published: Jan 9, 2015 9:50:00 AM
The Sustainability Team is running free environmental auditor training sessions to cover the basics of how to undertake an audit, and to give an opportunity to conduct an audit of a UCL building. More...
Published: Jan 8, 2015 11:53:00 AM
Environmental Sustainability is the responsibility of all members of the UCL community, including students, staff and persons working on our behalf. The UCL White Paper 2011-2021 sets out a clear vision for UCL and highlights Environmental Sustainability as a core value, seeking to:
- Achieve maximum positive social, environmental and economic benefit
- Conduct itself ethically and fairly, and in an environmentally sustainable manner, locally, nationally and globally
- Improve the sustainability of the UCL estate, and its use
- Seek to continuously improve its environmental and sustainability performance
- Enable and support UCL staff and students, through action, critical discourse, research and study, to contribute towards resolving global environmental challenges
UCL is committed to delivering the following objectives across its UK operations:
- To create a campus which supports UCL’s academic, research and enterprise activities in a sustainable way
- To enable, empower and support all UCL communities to address our environmental sustainability impacts
- To provide the education, advancement, dissemination and application of sustainable development
- To maximise the wider impact of UCLs environmental sustainability activities at local, regional, national and international level through collaboration, partnership and communications
- To become a leader across the HE sector in terms of environmental sustainability
This includes the implementation of an Environmental Sustainability Strategy, which recognises both our local and global impacts, and sets targets against each of our core objectives, ensuring that UCL is working to:
- Prevent pollution
- Comply with legal and other requirements
- Reduce carbon emissions
- Reduce water use
- Minimise waste generation and sustainable procurement
- Sustainably develop its estate
- Reduce the impacts of travel and transport
Contribute to local biodiversity
The Policy and Strategy will be implemented through the development, delivery and continuous improvement of the EcoCampus Environmental Sustainability Management System (ESMS) which will lead to certification under ISO14001. Departments will be responsible for ensuring adequate arrangements for environmental management in their area.
This Policy will be reviewed annually as part of the ESMS annual review.
UCL’s progress against these objectives can be found in Green UCL's latest Annual Report.