- ABOUT US
- GET INVOLVED
- CASE STUDIES
- OUR COMMITMENTS
Join the London by Bike team on a free cycling adventure around London; discover new routes, boost your cycling confidence and enjoy a free lunch or dinner on us when you finish.
Published: Feb 16, 2015 10:27:00 AM
Fairtrade Fortnight is 23rd February - 8th March, and all staff and students are encouraged to get involved.
Published: Feb 10, 2015 1:15:00 PM
UCLU Volunteering Services Unit present the Green Volunteering Fair. Come along to find out about a world of opportunities to get involved. More...
Published: Feb 9, 2015 9:41:00 AM
Green UCL is gathering your interpretations and visualisations of key sustainability themes for their Annual Report. Winning entries will receive a £50 prize and coverage in this widely-read report. More...
Published: Jan 28, 2015 2:42:00 PM
Environmental Sustainability is the responsibility of all members of the UCL community, including students, staff and persons working on our behalf. The UCL White Paper 2011-2021 sets out a clear vision for UCL and highlights Environmental Sustainability as a core value, seeking to:
- Achieve maximum positive social, environmental and economic benefit
- Conduct itself ethically and fairly, and in an environmentally sustainable manner, locally, nationally and globally
- Improve the sustainability of the UCL estate, and its use
- Seek to continuously improve its environmental and sustainability performance
- Enable and support UCL staff and students, through action, critical discourse, research and study, to contribute towards resolving global environmental challenges
UCL is committed to delivering the following objectives across its UK operations:
- To create a campus which supports UCL’s academic, research and enterprise activities in a sustainable way
- To enable, empower and support all UCL communities to address our environmental sustainability impacts
- To provide the education, advancement, dissemination and application of sustainable development
- To maximise the wider impact of UCLs environmental sustainability activities at local, regional, national and international level through collaboration, partnership and communications
- To become a leader across the HE sector in terms of environmental sustainability
This includes the implementation of an Environmental Sustainability Strategy, which recognises both our local and global impacts, and sets targets against each of our core objectives, ensuring that UCL is working to:
- Prevent pollution
- Comply with legal and other requirements
- Reduce carbon emissions
- Reduce water use
- Minimise waste generation and sustainable procurement
- Sustainably develop its estate
- Reduce the impacts of travel and transport
Contribute to local biodiversity
The Policy and Strategy will be implemented through the development, delivery and continuous improvement of the EcoCampus Environmental Sustainability Management System (ESMS) which will lead to certification under ISO14001. Departments will be responsible for ensuring adequate arrangements for environmental management in their area.
This Policy will be reviewed annually as part of the ESMS annual review.
UCL’s progress against these objectives can be found in Green UCL's latest Annual Report.
Related documents and information: