Green UCL News publication
- Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
- UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
- UCLoo Festival (Nov 19th - Dec 3rd)
- UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
- Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Impact end of term league table
- Give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green Impact February League Table
- Green Volunteering Fair
- WARPit Competition Now On
- UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
- Big Easter Switch Off: the results!
- Get Cycling Event: Wednesday 14th May, South Quad
- UCL action for sustainability celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
- Students: give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green UCL Annual Report published
- New bike racks installed around UCL
- UCL engineers work with contractors to boost biodiversity
- A new approach to recycling at UCL
- Will your department take part in UCL Green Impact?
- UCL's response to Transport for London's proposed Cycle Superhighways
- Gearing up for a new year
- Become an ambassador for the Mayor of London's Low Carbon Entrepreneur
- UCL backs proposed Cycle Superhighways
- UCL achieves Highly Commended for Sustainable Facilities Management
- The Sustainability Team is recruiting!
- Free hydrogen-powered mulled apple juice and switching off stickers
- Cut down on waste and get an extra £200 in your pocket
- The Christmas Switch Off: your impact
- Free environmental auditor training for students and staff
- Pop-up cycling cafes from London By Cycle
- UCL's People & Planet University League 2015 score
- Share your images of sustainability
Green UCL is gathering your interpretations and visualisations of key sustainability themes for their Annual Report. Winning entries will receive a £50 prize and coverage in this widely-read report. More...
Published: Jan 28, 2015 2:42:00 PM
Published: Jan 20, 2015 4:00:00 PM
Never ridden a bike before but want to try? Got a new bike and looking for advice on good routes? Ride a little but wish you were more confident? Just want a free coffee and to chat about bikes? More...
Published: Jan 12, 2015 11:08:00 AM
Congratulations to everyone who joined in with the Christmas Switch Off. The savings you’ve helped make really is proof that we can all play a part in improving UCL’s environmental impact. More...
Published: Jan 9, 2015 9:50:00 AM
UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
14 November 2013
As a reflection of UCL’s growing influence on embedding sustainability in the HE sector, UCL has won its first Green Gown Award. The Green Gown Awards are a celebration of sustainability best practice and recognise pioneering initiatives being championed across the tertiary education sector.
CarbonBuzz, a project led by a consortium including UCL’s Energy Institute, received the award for Technical Innovation for Sustainability from Professor Iain Stewart MBE. CarbonBuzz is a unique online platform that is used by architects, engineers, property owners and operators in the public and private sector. It helps identify and close the energy performance gap between design stage predictions and operational use. 31 universities already use the platform, which has the potential to dramatically change the way higher education buildings are designed and used.
Richard Jackson, UCL’s Head of Environmental Sustainability welcomed the award as testament to UCL’s work on influencing wider trends in the sector and beyond, and highlighting the importance of using HE research and innovation to embed sustainability into the fabric of the university. Professor Paul Ruyssevelt of the UCL Energy Institute, who leads UCL’s involvement in the CarbonBuzz project also welcomed the award, stating "I am very pleased that UCL and CarbonBuzz have received this prestigious award which I trust will encourage others to take advantage of this free resource".
Alex Green and Joanna Marshall-Cook from UCL's Environmental Sustainability team receive the award on behalf of CarbonBuzz.
Watch this short film about the making of CarbonBuzz: