Green UCL News publication
- Rollapaluza League Table from Welcome Fair
- BioRegional present One Planet Living in Topic Lunch Series
- GREEN UCL at Welcome Fair
- Green Impact UCL 2012/13 Now Running!
- Green Week UCL Poster Exhibition - Abstracts Online
- Green Week UCL is here
- Green Week Day 2 - Materials
- Green Week UCL Poster Competition Winners
- It's TRANSPORT day of Green Week UCL!
- Green Week UCL - How did it go?
- First Forum of Green Innovation UCL
- Green Innovation UCL is running
- Topic Lunch Presentation "Urbanisation in China"
- UCL Environmental Sustainability Strategy Consultation
- "Mapping Personal Thermal Comfort" - 26th November 1-2pm
- "Cycling, walking or driving – what are the risks and benefits?" by Jenny Mindell (UCL Epidemiology & Public Health)
- MODO and Green UCL Boot Sale
- Green Impact UCL League Table End of November
- Apply for UCLU Green Impact Special Awards
- Green Impact League Table December 17th
- Green Impact League Table January 21st
- Free IEMA accredited environmental audit training and experience for UCL students
- Cycle Safety Day - Thursday 31st January
- Students Switch Off to Success
- Green Impact League Table February 22nd
- Green Impact League Table February 22nd
- Become an Ambassador for the Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Champions Forum and Training Sessions
- Green Impact Award April 24th 2013
- HEFCE NUS Fund
- Public Lecture
- Earn rewards for cycling with pleasecycle
- Cycling Ambassador Bike days in July
- Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
- UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
- UCLoo Festival (Nov 19th - Dec 3rd)
- UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
- Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Impact end of term league table
- Give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green Impact February League Table
- Green Volunteering Fair
- WARPit Competition Now On
- UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
- Big Easter Switch Off: the results!
- Get Cycling Event: Wednesday 14th May, South Quad
- UCL action for Sustainability Celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
- Students: give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green UCL Annual Report published
- New bike racks installed around UCL
- UCL engineers work with contractors to boost biodiversity
- A new approach to recycling at UCL
- Will your department take part in UCL Green Impact?
- UCL's response to Transport for London's proposed Cycle Superhighways
- Gearing up for a new year
- Become an ambassador for the Mayor of London's Low Carbon Entrepreneur
- UCL backs proposed Cycle Superhighways
- UCL achieves Highly Commended for Sustainable Facilities Management
- The Sustainability Team is recruiting!
Care about UCL’s environmental impact? Come to an event to tell us what’s important to you. More...
Published: Nov 26, 2014 5:01:00 PM
Want to join UCL’s Sustainability Team and help improve the sustainability of our business and projects? More...
Published: Nov 25, 2014 10:35:00 AM
UCL and its partners Office and General and Bywaters have received a Highly Commended accolade at the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) awards. More...
Published: Nov 12, 2014 10:43:00 AM
Image: a visualisation of proposed segregated two-way cycle track on Tower Hill
Published: Nov 6, 2014 5:17:00 PM
Green Impact, UCL's annual sustainability programme is now live for the 2014-15 period, and all departments and divisions are encouraged to get involved. More...
Published: Oct 31, 2014 5:10:00 PM
UCL engineers work with contractors to boost biodiversity
12 August 2014
The replacement of air handling equipment on a roof at 1-19 Torrington Place has been used to trial an innovative approach to working with UCL's contractors to boost biodiversity.
A group (image below) including the project's primary contractor Integrated MEP, along with AECOM, UCL Estates, the UCL Sustainability Team, O&G landscaping and the London Wildlife Trust collaborated to introduce plants, bird boxes, feeders and baths, as well as visual improvements to this once dull and uninspiring roof space.
The planting used in the project was drawn from a list of native species identified in the draft UCL Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (including Honeysuckle, Hebe, Cat Mint, Thyme, Sedums and Lavenders). UCL worked with the London Wildlife Trust to create this document which recognises the role that UCL can play in supporting urban biodiversity. Tony Overbury, Sustainability Manager commended the project, stating that "the fact that honey bees have been drawn to the newly planted area so quickly shows the positive impact that even relatively small projects can achieve".
UCL's gardeners are also developing plans to install a biodiversity-boosting 'bug hotel' created from recycled building materials on the roof.
Image right: a bee on one of the new Lavender bushes.
We’ve shown that through collaboration between the university and its contractors, we can increase sustainability and the wellbeing of those who work and study here.
Chandra N Mistry, UCL Estates
All plants, bird boxes and baths were donated to UCL free of charge by Integrated MEP.
Chandra N Mistry (UCL Engineering, Maintenance and Infrastructure) worked on the project and commented that "by donating time and materials, this contractor has shown a real commitment to UCL and to improving local biodiversity. We’ve shown that through collaboration between the university and its contractors, we can increase sustainability and the wellbeing of those who work and study here. We hope this will mark a change of paradigm at UCL, where more contractors will add value to projects by considering projects like this across the estate".
To find out more, please contact the Sustainability Team.