Green UCL News publication
- Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
- UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
- UCLoo Festival (Nov 19th - Dec 3rd)
- UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
- Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Impact end of term league table
- Give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green Impact February League Table
- Green Volunteering Fair
- WARPit Competition Now On
- UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
- Big Easter Switch Off: the results!
- Get Cycling Event: Wednesday 14th May, South Quad
- UCL action for sustainability celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
- Students: give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green UCL Annual Report published
- New bike racks installed around UCL
- UCL engineers work with contractors to boost biodiversity
- A new approach to recycling at UCL
- Will your department take part in UCL Green Impact?
- UCL's response to Transport for London's proposed Cycle Superhighways
- Gearing up for a new year
- Become an ambassador for the Mayor of London's Low Carbon Entrepreneur
- UCL backs proposed Cycle Superhighways
- UCL achieves Highly Commended for Sustainable Facilities Management
- The Sustainability Team is recruiting!
- Free hydrogen-powered mulled apple juice and switching off stickers
- Cut down on waste and get an extra £200 in your pocket
- The Christmas Switch Off: your impact
- Free environmental auditor training for students and staff
- Pop-up cycling cafes from London By Cycle
- UCL's People & Planet University League 2015 score
- Share your images of sustainability
- Attend the VSU Green Volunteering Fair
- Celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight 2015
- Come for a free cycling adventure around London
- Green Impact Spring League Table
- Free cycle tours of London (bikes provided!)
- UCL student a finalist in Mayor of London's Low Carbon competition
- Cruciform Hub awarded Gold for green credentials
- Design and create a garden to boost biodiversity at UCL
- UCL IOE Biodiversity Garden Competition winners announced
- UCL's Sustainability Annual Report: our progress
- Free IEMA Approved environmental auditor training for students
- Be part of Junk in the Trunk
- Urban Alchemy
- UCLIC launches hunt to find technological solutions to green challenges
- UCL launches platform to make energy data available to all
- UCL a finalist in the 2015 Green Gown Awards
- Sodexo and UCL awarded Silver Food for Life Catering Mark
- Sustainability excellence showcased at the UCL Green Impact Awards
- 'Whole Earth?' environmental exhibition comes to Gordon Square Gardens
- All departments encouraged to take part in UCL's Green Impact programme
- Living in UCL accommodation? Get Student Switch Off Volunteer Training
We're looking for enthusiastic, environmentally-minded students currently living in UCL accommodation to become ambassadors for the Student Switch off campaign. More...
Published: Oct 9, 2015 1:44:00 PM
Green Impact, UCL's annual sustainability programme is now live for the 2015-16 period, and all departments and divisions are encouraged to take part. More...
Published: Sep 28, 2015 2:52:00 PM
A new free exhibition will run in Gordon Square Gardens from the 21st September - 16th October, tackling the environmental challenges we face in a changing and increasingly interconnected world. More...
Published: Sep 23, 2015 10:00:00 AM
UCL action for sustainability was celebrated this week at the Sustainability Team's annual Green Impact Awards. Vice-Provost Professor Anthony Smith, Professor Graham Hart, Dean of the Faculty of Population Health Sciences and the Sustainability Team paid tribute to the remarkable efforts of staff and students in creating a more sustainable UCL. More...
Published: Sep 17, 2015 11:26:00 AM
New bike racks installed around UCL
19 August 2014
As part of UCL's ongoing work to improve cycling facilities for staff and students, the UCL Sustainability Team have completed the installation of new parking spaces for 181 bikes around the Bloomsbury campus.
96 new spaces have been installed in the Main Quad, 26 behind the Medawar Building and others at the Gordon Square houses and at Ifor Evans Hall. Another 88 spaces will also be installed over the coming months, including new weather-proof spaces in Foster Court.
The British-made cycle racks were designed and installed by Cyclehoop, a company established by UCL alumnus Anthony Lau. Lau, who studied at The Bartlett School of Architecture designed his first Cyclehoop while still a student at UCL.
With hundreds of new parking spaces and improved facilities on the way, we hope that more and more staff and students will consider cycling to and from UCL
Joanna Marshall-Cook, UCL Sustainability Team
As part of the strategy set out in UCL's Travel Plan, these changes represent a wider drive to improve facilities for cyclists at UCL. Other soon-to-be -completed projects include the installation of dedicated CCTV cameras at 1-19 Torrington Place, Foster Court and the Main Quad to provide more security for the bikes parked there. A fixed bike pump and permanent bike repair stand with a variety of tools for maintenance will also soon be accessible to staff and students in Foster Court.
"Cycling is a quick, low cost and low impact way to get around London" stated Joanna Marshall Cook from the Sustainability Team "and we're making real progress to make UCL a cycling university. We know we've still got some way to go, but with hundreds of new parking spaces and improved facilities on the way, we hope that more and more staff and students will consider cycling to and from UCL".
To find out more about UCL's cycling facilities and get tips on cycle safety, visit www.ucl.ac.uk/cycling.