Green UCL News publication
- Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
- UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
- UCLoo Festival (Nov 19th - Dec 3rd)
- UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
- Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Impact end of term league table
- Give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green Impact February League Table
- Green Volunteering Fair
- WARPit Competition Now On
- UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
- Big Easter Switch Off: the results!
- Get Cycling Event: Wednesday 14th May, South Quad
- UCL action for sustainability celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
- Students: give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green UCL Annual Report published
- New bike racks installed around UCL
- UCL engineers work with contractors to boost biodiversity
- A new approach to recycling at UCL
- Will your department take part in UCL Green Impact?
- UCL's response to Transport for London's proposed Cycle Superhighways
- Gearing up for a new year
- Become an ambassador for the Mayor of London's Low Carbon Entrepreneur
- UCL backs proposed Cycle Superhighways
- UCL achieves Highly Commended for Sustainable Facilities Management
- The Sustainability Team is recruiting!
- Free hydrogen-powered mulled apple juice and switching off stickers
- Cut down on waste and get an extra £200 in your pocket
- The Christmas Switch Off: your impact
- Free environmental auditor training for students and staff
- Pop-up cycling cafes from London By Cycle
- UCL's People & Planet University League 2015 score
Published: Jan 20, 2015 4:00:00 PM
Never ridden a bike before but want to try? Got a new bike and looking for advice on good routes? Ride a little but wish you were more confident? Just want a free coffee and to chat about bikes? More...
Published: Jan 12, 2015 11:08:00 AM
Congratulations to everyone who joined in with the Christmas Switch Off. The savings you’ve helped make really is proof that we can all play a part in improving UCL’s environmental impact. More...
Published: Jan 9, 2015 9:50:00 AM
The Sustainability Team is running free environmental auditor training sessions to cover the basics of how to undertake an audit, and to give an opportunity to conduct an audit of a UCL building. More...
Published: Jan 8, 2015 11:53:00 AM
New bike racks installed around UCL
19 August 2014
As part of UCL's ongoing work to improve cycling facilities for staff and students, the UCL Sustainability Team have completed the installation of new parking spaces for 181 bikes around the Bloomsbury campus.
96 new spaces have been installed in the Main Quad, 26 behind the Medawar Building and others at the Gordon Square houses and at Ifor Evans Hall. Another 88 spaces will also be installed over the coming months, including new weather-proof spaces in Foster Court.
The British-made cycle racks were designed and installed by Cyclehoop, a company established by UCL alumnus Anthony Lau. Lau, who studied at The Bartlett School of Architecture designed his first Cyclehoop while still a student at UCL.
With hundreds of new parking spaces and improved facilities on the way, we hope that more and more staff and students will consider cycling to and from UCL
Joanna Marshall-Cook, UCL Sustainability Team
As part of the strategy set out in UCL's Travel Plan, these changes represent a wider drive to improve facilities for cyclists at UCL. Other soon-to-be -completed projects include the installation of dedicated CCTV cameras at 1-19 Torrington Place, Foster Court and the Main Quad to provide more security for the bikes parked there. A fixed bike pump and permanent bike repair stand with a variety of tools for maintenance will also soon be accessible to staff and students in Foster Court.
"Cycling is a quick, low cost and low impact way to get around London" stated Joanna Marshall Cook from the Sustainability Team "and we're making real progress to make UCL a cycling university. We know we've still got some way to go, but with hundreds of new parking spaces and improved facilities on the way, we hope that more and more staff and students will consider cycling to and from UCL".
To find out more about UCL's cycling facilities and get tips on cycle safety, visit www.ucl.ac.uk/cycling.