Green UCL News publication
- Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
- UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
- UCLoo Festival (Nov 19th - Dec 3rd)
- UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
- Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Impact end of term league table
- Give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green Impact February League Table
- Green Volunteering Fair
- WARPit Competition Now On
- UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
- Big Easter Switch Off: the results!
- Get Cycling Event: Wednesday 14th May, South Quad
- UCL action for Sustainability Celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
- Students: give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green UCL Annual Report published
- New bike racks installed around UCL
- UCL engineers work with contractors to boost biodiversity
- A new approach to recycling at UCL
- Will your department take part in UCL Green Impact?
- UCL's response to Transport for London's proposed Cycle Superhighways
- Gearing up for a new year
- Become an ambassador for the Mayor of London's Low Carbon Entrepreneur
- UCL backs proposed Cycle Superhighways
- UCL achieves Highly Commended for Sustainable Facilities Management
- The Sustainability Team is recruiting!
- Free hydrogen-powered mulled apple juice and switching off stickers
- Cut down on waste and get an extra £200 in your pocket
Catherine Windrow works for North London Waste Authority and took part in Green Space at the North Observatory earlier this term. Here she shares some easy tips to reduce waste, improve your environmental impact and save money. More...
Published: Dec 15, 2014 11:09:00 AM
On Tuesday 9th December, 12-2pm, we'll be raising awareness about the Christmas Switch Off by giving away free mulled apple juice powered by the UCL's brilliant UCell hydrogen fuel cell in the Main Quad. More...
Published: Dec 8, 2014 11:22:00 AM
Want to join UCL’s Sustainability Team and help improve the sustainability of our business and projects? More...
Published: Nov 25, 2014 10:35:00 AM
UCL and its partners Office and General and Bywaters have received a Highly Commended accolade at the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) awards. More...
Published: Nov 12, 2014 10:43:00 AM
Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
23 October 2013
This is an exciting time for Green Impact at UCL. After lots of work, discussion and feedback from previous participants, this year's workbook is now live. Last year, an incredible 25 departmental teams took part in the programme, from engineering to languages, to the careers service and libraries. This year, we're working to make this number even higher.
CEGE win Gold at the 2012 Green Impact award ceremony
Break big changes into simple steps
We know that reducing your environmental impact can be a real challenge. Green Impact helps by breaking down environmental improvements into simple, manageable actions. These actions are set out in an online workbook that makes taking action easy, more participatory and more fun. And UCL's Environmental Sustainability team is on hand to provide help, every step of the way.
Build on your successes
Last year, departments made ran some amazing projects as part of Green Impact. For instance, the team of the Division of Psychology and Language Sciences ran their own Green Awareness Day and also brightened up a grey area of Bedford Way by creating a garden. But it's not all about big actions. By simply joining and using WARPit (a website for UCL staff to share resources and equipment), teams across the university are helping to save energy, resources and money.
Before and after: the Division of Psychology and Language Sciences garden
Students are also a vital part of the programme. When it comes to auditing departments at the end of the year, we recruit students and provide them with a recognised training to help them do this. We'll also recruit and train students to work alongside any staff Green Impact team that thinks it would benefit from some extra help.
Find out more and get involved
Green Impact runs from October 2013 - March 2014. You can find out about the programme here.
You can register your team’s Green Impact workbook at: www.greenimpact.org.uk/ucl.
Contact the UCL Environmental Sustainability team to find out more: alex.green[at]ucl.ac.uk