Green UCL News publication
- Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
- UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
- UCLoo Festival (Nov 19th - Dec 3rd)
- UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
- Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Impact end of term league table
- Give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green Impact February League Table
- Green Volunteering Fair
- WARPit Competition Now On
- UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
- Big Easter Switch Off: the results!
- Get Cycling Event: Wednesday 14th May, South Quad
- UCL action for sustainability celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
- Students: give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green UCL Annual Report published
- New bike racks installed around UCL
- UCL engineers work with contractors to boost biodiversity
- A new approach to recycling at UCL
- Will your department take part in UCL Green Impact?
- UCL's response to Transport for London's proposed Cycle Superhighways
- Gearing up for a new year
- Become an ambassador for the Mayor of London's Low Carbon Entrepreneur
- UCL backs proposed Cycle Superhighways
- UCL achieves Highly Commended for Sustainable Facilities Management
- The Sustainability Team is recruiting!
- Free hydrogen-powered mulled apple juice and switching off stickers
- Cut down on waste and get an extra £200 in your pocket
- The Christmas Switch Off: your impact
- Free environmental auditor training for students and staff
- Pop-up cycling cafes from London By Cycle
- UCL's People & Planet University League 2015 score
Published: Jan 20, 2015 4:00:00 PM
Never ridden a bike before but want to try? Got a new bike and looking for advice on good routes? Ride a little but wish you were more confident? Just want a free coffee and to chat about bikes? More...
Published: Jan 12, 2015 11:08:00 AM
Congratulations to everyone who joined in with the Christmas Switch Off. The savings you’ve helped make really is proof that we can all play a part in improving UCL’s environmental impact. More...
Published: Jan 9, 2015 9:50:00 AM
The Sustainability Team is running free environmental auditor training sessions to cover the basics of how to undertake an audit, and to give an opportunity to conduct an audit of a UCL building. More...
Published: Jan 8, 2015 11:53:00 AM
Green UCL Annual Report published
5 August 2014
Green UCL’s Annual Report for 2012-13 is now ready. This report showcases examples of best practice and sets out our progress in creating a more sustainable UCL.
In April 2013, the UCL Council approved the institution’s first Environmental Sustainability Strategy following extensive consultation across the institution. The strategy sets out five strategic aims:
- To create a campus which supports UCL’s activities in a sustainable way
- To enable, empower and support all UCL communities to address our environmental sustainability impacts
- To provide the education, advancement, dissemination and application of sustainable development
- To maximise the wider impact of UCL’s environmental sustainability activities at local, regional, national and international level through collaboration, partnership and communication
- To become a leader in environmental sustainability across the HE sector
Our Annual Report sets out the progress which has been made in 2012/13 against these strategic aims and, in particular, the targets and commitments set out in the strategy. It provides some case studies of best practice and also a summary of our key goals for the coming year.
One of several infographics illustrating elements of UCL's impacts, approach to carbon and vision for the future.
Sustainable refurbishment of 31 Tavistock Square
Built in 1826, 31 Tavistock Square is a Grade 2* listed building, situated in the Bloomsbury conservation area. Previously used as a domestic dwelling, this refurbishment project transformed the space into offices with sector-leading environmental performance, all while respecting the heritage of the building.
UCL Wifi Project
In 2012, the Sustainability Team launched a competition to find a way of visualising environmental data. Several challenge workshops were initiated and one team was chosen to explore wifi as the means by which building occupancy could be tracked, creating a pioneering online tool which allowed the energy and occupancy data to be mapped simultaneously.
Provost Teaching Award for 'Engineering Thinking' module
Dr Sarah Bell worked with Professor Andrea Sella and the Sustainability Team to devise a student project for the 'Engineering Thinking' module of the new Bachelor of Arts and Sciences (BASc) degree. Using their teaching spaces as a living lab, BASc students were divided into two groups which developed different proposals for providing automated water meter systems for the teaching laboratories. These proposals were presented as competitive tenders and the winning design was implemented and installed by UCL's plumbers.
Quartzy is a free online database through research groups can log their chemicals and manage bookings for equipment. Using this tool, UCL's Department of Chemistry has created a database of twenty thousand bottles of chemicals, each individually labelled and located.The safety and sustainability benefits have been huge and the department is also saving a significant amount of money, both reducing purchase costs, and the cost of disposing of unneeded chemicals.