Green UCL News publication
- Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
- UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
- UCLoo Festival (Nov 19th - Dec 3rd)
- UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
- Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Impact end of term league table
- Give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green Impact February League Table
- Green Volunteering Fair
- WARPit Competition Now On
- UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
- Big Easter Switch Off: the results!
- Get Cycling Event: Wednesday 14th May, South Quad
- UCL action for sustainability celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
- Students: give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green UCL Annual Report published
- New bike racks installed around UCL
- UCL engineers work with contractors to boost biodiversity
- A new approach to recycling at UCL
- Will your department take part in UCL Green Impact?
- UCL's response to Transport for London's proposed Cycle Superhighways
- Gearing up for a new year
- Become an ambassador for the Mayor of London's Low Carbon Entrepreneur
- UCL backs proposed Cycle Superhighways
- UCL achieves Highly Commended for Sustainable Facilities Management
- The Sustainability Team is recruiting!
- Free hydrogen-powered mulled apple juice and switching off stickers
- Cut down on waste and get an extra £200 in your pocket
- The Christmas Switch Off: your impact
- Free environmental auditor training for students and staff
- Pop-up cycling cafes from London By Cycle
- UCL's People & Planet University League 2015 score
- Share your images of sustainability
- Attend the VSU Green Volunteering Fair
- Celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight 2015
- Come for a free cycling adventure around London
- Green Impact Spring League Table
- Free cycle tours of London (bikes provided!)
- UCL student a finalist in Mayor of London's Low Carbon competition
- Cruciform Hub awarded Gold for green credentials
- Design and create a garden to boost biodiversity at UCL
The Sustainability Team and UCL IoE Gardening
Project are offering staff and students the chance to design and create
one of four biodiversity-boosting raised beds in Sarah's Garden on the roof
terrace at the UCL Institute of Education.
Published: Mar 31, 2015 2:26:00 PM
The recently-refurbished Cruciform Hub has received a RICS Ska Gold award for its environmental credentials, which include energy efficient lighting throughout, use of sustainable timber and 99% of all waste generated by the project avoiding landfill. More...
Published: Mar 25, 2015 1:01:00 PM
Louis's 'Gaia Gallery' project is based in a heritage canal boat and aims to create the UK’s first entirely off-grid touring event space. The project is volunteer-led and has been shaped by a carbon neutral design that incorporates alternative technologies, reclaimed materials and natural building methods. The barge is also currently being converted to operate on recycled vegetable oil, further improving the impact of the project. More...
Published: Mar 18, 2015 1:17:00 PM
After the success of our first rides, we're running
more guided cycle tours around London for UCL students. All abilities are welcome,
whether you're a cycling fanatic
or a total beginner. Even if you don't have a bike, don't worry; we
can provide one.
Published: Mar 16, 2015 10:04:00 AM
UCL action for sustainability celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
11 June 2014
UCL's President & Provost, Professor Graham Hart, Dean of the Faculty of Population Health Sciences and the Sustainability team paid tribute to the remarkable efforts of the UCL community in tackling our environmental impacts this week at the Green Impact Award Ceremony.
Green Impact is an annual programme that empowers staff and students to improve their departments’ environmental performance and boost the sustainability literacy of peers and colleagues. 32 teams received awards at the ceremony at the Grant Museum of Zoology, with Psychology and Language Science winning the programme overall.
Dr Marta Niccolai (Department of Italian), Scott Foulon (Library Services) and Miles Irving (Department of Geography) were also presented with Special Awards by the Provost for their efforts in engaging students, supporting colleagues and for making real improvements to environmental performance.
Richard Jackson, Director of Sustainability, emphasised that the large year-on-year increase in the number of teams taking part was testament to the growing priority that sustainability is for the UCL community. He commended the teams, emphasising that they “show the real impact we can all make in terms of improving our impact, while saving money and resources”.
UCL President & Provost Michael Arthur commended the “wonderful breadth of activity across the university” encouraged by the programme, and gave “a huge thank you, from me personally, and from the rest of UCL, for the extra mile you go”.
All photos from the award ceremony can be found on the Green UCL Facebook page. The Green Impact programme for 2014-15 will launch again in September. To find out more about getting involved, please contact Alex Green.
The full list of team awards:
Working towards Bronze
- Immunology (Immunology team at the Royal Free Hospital)
- Bartlett Library
- Drayton Green Dragons (Department of Economics)
- Eastman Dental Library
- Green Light (Department of Italian)
- Greenpharm (School of Pharmacy Library)
- Institute of Archaeology Library
- Institute of Ophthalmology Library
- Ortho (The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore)
- Student and Registry Services
- Wickford Zero Waste (Wickford Library Store, Essex)
- Jewish Green (Jewish and Herbrew Studies)
- UCL Language & Speech Science Library
- Elite Green (the Combined Heat and Power Team)
- Going for Green (Human Resources Division)
- Green Counts (Finance and Business Affairs)
- Institute of Child Health Library
- Queen Square Library
- Student Psychological Services
- Action on Hearing Loss and Ear Institute Libraries
- All the Other Good Names Argon (Department of Chemistry)
- Green Comrades (SSEES Library)
- Green Darwin (the Darwin Building team)
- Green SSEES (School of Slavonic and East European Studies)
- Institute of Archaeology
- Royal Free (Royal Free Medical Library)
- The Splat Green Team - NIHR
- UCL Main and Science Libraries
- Green Careers (Careers Service)
- G.I. Geog (Department of Geography)
- PALS (Psychology and Language Science)
All photos from the award ceremony can be found on the Green UCL Facebook page.