- ABOUT US
- GET INVOLVED
- CASE STUDIES
- OUR COMMITMENTS
- NEWS & COMMENT
- READ OUR BLOG
- ACCESS GREEN IMPACT
Green Impact, UCL's annual sustainability programme is now live for the 2015-16 period, and all departments and divisions are encouraged to take part. More...
Published: Sep 28, 2015 2:52:00 PM
A new free exhibition will run in Gordon Square Gardens from the 21st September - 16th October, tackling the environmental challenges we face in a changing and increasingly interconnected world. More...
Published: Sep 23, 2015 10:00:00 AM
UCL action for sustainability was celebrated this week at the Sustainability Team's annual Green Impact Awards. Vice-Provost Professor Anthony Smith, Professor Graham Hart, Dean of the Faculty of Population Health Sciences and the Sustainability Team paid tribute to the remarkable efforts of staff and students in creating a more sustainable UCL. More...
Published: Sep 17, 2015 11:26:00 AM
Marking a commitment to providing healthy and sustainable food, Sodexo has achieved the Silver Food for Life Catering Mark at UCL. The university's catering partner since 2014,
Sodexo serves over 26,000 students across UCL's Bloomsbury campus.
Published: Aug 11, 2015 12:17:00 PM
Staff Green Champions
After recent changes to the UCL academic manual, it is now stipulated that all departments should have a member of staff charged with environmental responsibilities. And having a Green Champion is an excellent way to achieve this. Staff Green Champions support UCL’s environmental sustainability agenda and help improve UCL’s green performance. The role is flexible and varied, but as a staff Green Champion, you could:
- Make sure that all new staff and students complete Green UCL's Environmental Awareness moodle course as part of their induction. This is an essential introduction to the key concepts of sustainability and what these mean for UCL.
- Ensure that your department takes part in UCL's Green Impact programme, and help with its delivery.
- Ensure that departmental colleagues are aware of your contact details and role as Green Champion.
- Encourage and gather ideas and feedback from departmental colleagues on ways to improving your department's environmental performance.
- Use social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to help spread awareness about Green UCL events, programmes and initiatives.
- Explain new initiatives (such as recycling bins) to colleagues and seek to elicit their co-operation and support.
- Attend and participate in forums and meetings of the Green Champions’ network.
- Encourage green procurement by consulting with departmental purchasing officers (e.g. using recycled paper office products, purchasing A* energy rated electrical appliances, reducing the number of printers by encouraging printer sharing).
- Liaise with the departmental Estates representative to ensure that maintenance issues are reported and resolved promptly (e.g. faulty heating, dripping taps).
Become a staff Green Champion
If you'd like to become a Green Champion, or if you have any questions about the role, please contact Lead Green Champion Janet Hope. You can also sign up to the Green Champions mailing list to get updates and information about the work of Green Champions across the university.