Glaucoma and Retinal Neurodegenerative Disease Research Group
The processes of neurodegeneration are implicated in several degenerative diseases of the retina. These include glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration and some inherited retinal disorders.
Professor M Francesca Cordeiro group's work is focused on mechanisms of neurodegeneration and vision loss, particularly related to the early diagnosis and management of age-related neurodegenerative processes.
- Identify early markers of cell processes in neurodegenerative disease in the eye – including Glaucoma, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s Diseases
- Establish new methods of early diagnosis and treatment of these diseases – using the eye as a window on to the brain
- Develop non-invasive screening and monitoring of neurodegeneration
- Investigate Neuroprotection and rescue modalities
- Assess novel delivery methods of diagnostic and therapeutic agents – in the eye and in the brain
These are to be achieved using novel non-invasive techniques to assess structural and functional changes in different models of disease and their treatment, with a view to offering quick and effective translation to the clinical arena.
Page last modified on 27 feb 14 12:11