Stephanie Bird: PhD Supervision
Stephanie Bird is happy to supervise research projects in the areas of modern literature and literary theory, German film, the representation of history in literature and film, gender in literature and film, and on topics including national identity, shame, melodrama and comedy. She also welcomes interdisciplinary and comparative work.
Recent and current PhD topics supervised by Stephanie Bird:
- Intertextuality in Elfriede Jelinek, Günter Grass and Herta Müller
- National identity in Libuse Moniková and Herta Müller
- 1950s German War Films
- The representation of humiliation and shame in the literature, film and ego-documents of the GDR
- The novels of Reinhard Jirgl.
- Masculinity in Austrian novellas of the interwar years
- Modernist melancholia: Freud, Conrad and Ford
- Representation of the divine in Thomas Mann's Joseph und seine Brüder and Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita
- The portrayal of violence in early German cinema
- Barbara Köhler's Niemands Frau
- An analsyis of the body in space for understanding the emotional impact of the Second World War: a comparison of post-war Italian and Austrian texts and films.