- GEE Home
- GEE All
- GEE Academics
- GEE Post-Docs
- GEE Post-Graduates
- Forms & Documents
- Green Matters
Open Access & Publication Charges
A UCL Publication Fund is available, subject to the conditions below, to enable open access publication of research funded by either a UK Research Council grant or by a Wellcome Trust award. This Publication Fund is managed by UCL Library Services.
There are two RCUK open access compliant categories of journals:
- Gold: Allows Open Access from the publisher’s site, often in exchange for an ‘Article Processing Charge’ (APC)
- Green: Allows the deposit of the article in institutional repositories such as UCL Discovery. No APC will be payable to the publisher. RCUK accepts that publishers may wish to impose a delay between on-line publication and the availability of the final manuscript in a repository. The maximum embargo periods for UCL researchers choosing the Green Open Access route to compliance with the RCUK Policy are:
- - 6 months (MRC-funded publications)
- - 24 months (AHRC- and ESRC-funded publications)
- - 12 months (all other RCUK-funded publications)
If the publisher allows Green deposit within the RCUK’s permitted embargo periods, UCL encourages the author to choose the Green option.
Where the Green option is not applicable or appropriate, UCL will cover the publication charges for Gold OA where funds permit from the Publication Fund set up for this purpose.
Links to UCL's Open Access Policies
- The published research was funded by one of the Research Councils or the Wellcome Trust
- Journal does not allow RCUK-compliant ‘Green’ deposit, or the researcher feels there is a compelling academic case for choosing ‘Gold’
- The paper includes details of the funding that supported the research, and a statement on how the underlying research materials – such as data, samples or models – can be accessed.
- Funds to support open access fees are not already provided within the grant/award.
From the Open Access Publication Claim site managed by Library Services, upload a pdf of the invoice, a
pdf of the publication and input the RCUK or Wellcome Trust grant
number. Library Services will acknowledge your claim and manage the
payment of the invoice.
Help & Further Guidance
UCL Library Services
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7679 7380 (internal: 37380)
Page last modified on 03 apr 13 13:42