EUROG003 - Theoretical Issues in History and Literature
Value: 30 credits
Term: Term 2
Tutor: Prof Mark Hewitson
Assessment: One assessed 6,000 word essay (100%)
1. Paradigms and approaches: Positivism, realism, modernism, postmodernism
2. Post-modernity (1): structuralism / poststructuralism (Barthes, Derrida)
3. Post-modernity (2): neo-Marxism, postcolonialism.
4. Structure and agency (1): society and agency
5. Structure and agency (2): subjectivity and agency
6. Power (Marx, Weber, Foucault)
7. Time and memory (Ricouer, Halbwachs, Assmanns)
8. Collective identities (1): collective memory and national identities
9. Collective identities (2): class (Marx, Weber), gender (Scott), generation,
10. Objectivity and value neutrality
Please note: This module description is accurate at the time of publication. Minor amendments may be made prior to the start of the academic year.