Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL European Institute
In this commentary, Lucy Shacketon outlines why UK universities have both the right and the responsibility to inform and influence the referendum debate.
3 August 2015
Lucy Shackleton More...
Starts: Aug 3, 2015 12:00:00 AM
In their relationship to Europe, both Britain and Romania are situated at the continent’s edge, but that is where any list of comparisons between the two countries usually ends. Certainly, both countries are members of the European Union, but their respective responses to the European Union differ markedly. Polls conducted by Eurobarometer consistently put Romanians among the most enthusiastic supporters of the European Union, and the British (along with the Greeks) among the least. But what are the historical roots of Romanian and British attitudes towards Europe and the European idea?
27 July 2015
Prof. Martyn Rady More...
Starts: Jul 27, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Young people in the UK today who are attracted to extremism are typically well educated. Given the weaknesses of this ideology in terms of its use of history, internal coherence of arguments and moral standards, its success with many educated young people requires explanation. The explanation, according to Dr. Farid, is multifaceted but education has a big role to play in curbing the trend.
2 June 2015
Dr. Farid Panjwani More...
Starts: Jun 2, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Over 20 specialised postgraduate programmes offer students the opportunity to concentrate specifically on European and European Union Studies; a range of related programmes also offer expertise to students interested in the study of Europe.
UCL School of Public Policy
- MSc in European Public Policy
- MSc in Democracy and Comparative Politics
- MSc International Public Policy
- MSc in Legal and Political Theory
- MSc Global Governance and Ethics
- MSc in Public Policy
- MA in Human Rights
- MA European History
- MA Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- MA Ancient History
- MA Late Antique and Byzantine Studies
- MA Dutch Golden Age
- MA Intellectual History
- MA Transnational Studies
UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES)
- MRes in East European Studies
- MRes in the Politics & Economics of Eastern Europe
- MA in Central & South-East European Studies
- MA in Russian and East European Literature and Culture
- MA in Comparative Business Economics
- MA in Political Analysis (Russian and Eastern Europe)
- MA in Comparative Economics and Policy
- MA Russian Studies
- MA Identity, Culture and Power
- MA Political Sociology (Russian and Eastern Europe)
UCL Centre for Multidisciplinary and Intercultural Inquiry (CMII)
- MA in European Culture and Thought: Culture
- MA in European Culture and Thought: Thought
- MA in European Studies: Modern European Studies
- MA in European Studies: European Society
UCL School of European Languages, Culture and Society (SELCS)
- MA in Language, History & Culture (in pathways)
- MA Comparative Literature
- MA Translation Theory and Practice
- MA Gender, Society and Representation
- MA Film Studies