Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL European Institute
Dean Spielmann, President of the European Court of Human Rights since September 2012, has served as a Judge in the Court for over a decade. In a recent interview with the UCL Law Society’s Silk v. Brief, highlights of which are condensed in the blog post below, he discusses the evolving role of human rights in Europe, and explores the complicated relationship between the UK and the European Convention on Human Rights.
23 March 2015 More...
Starts: Mar 23, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Philippe Sands, Professor of Law at UCL and practising barrister in international law, and Helena Kennedy, a leading barrister and academic in human rights law, civil liberties and constitutional issues, were members of the 2011 Commission on a Bill of Rights. In highlights from a recent article in the London Review of Books, they discuss how human rights intersect with politics, examine the UK’s strained relationship with the European Convention on Human Rights, and question the possible motivations lying behind the proposed Bill.
Prof. Philippe Sands
1 April 2015 More...
Starts: Apr 1, 2015 12:00:00 AM
With the Eurozone crisis not yet over, Albert Weale, Professor of Political Theory and Public Policy at UCL, reviews the Hertie Governance Report 2015 as it analyses the key issues facing the European Institutions in terms of economic governance. As ad hoc solutions are found to deal with urgent matters, what does this mean for political accountability and reform in the EU, and what lessons have been learnt?
Prof. Albert Weale
14 April 2015 More...
Starts: Apr 14, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Over 20 specialised postgraduate programmes offer students the opportunity to concentrate specifically on European and European Union Studies; a range of related programmes also offer expertise to students interested in the study of Europe.
UCL School of Public Policy
- MSc in European Public Policy
- MSc in Democracy and Comparative Politics
- MSc International Public Policy
- MSc in Legal and Political Theory
- MSc Global Governance and Ethics
- MSc in Public Policy
- MA in Human Rights
- MA European History
- MA Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- MA Ancient History
- MA Late Antique and Byzantine Studies
- MA Dutch Golden Age
- MA Intellectual History
- MA Transnational Studies
UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES)
- MRes in East European Studies
- MRes in the Politics & Economics of Eastern Europe
- MA in Central & South-East European Studies
- MA in Russian and East European Literature and Culture
- MA in Comparative Business Economics
- MA in Political Analysis (Russian and Eastern Europe)
- MA in Comparative Economics and Policy
- MA Russian Studies
- MA Identity, Culture and Power
- MA Political Sociology (Russian and Eastern Europe)
UCL Centre for Multidisciplinary and Intercultural Inquiry (CMII)
- MA in European Culture and Thought: Culture
- MA in European Culture and Thought: Thought
- MA in European Studies: Modern European Studies
- MA in European Studies: European Society
UCL School of European Languages, Culture and Society (SELCS)
- MA in Language, History & Culture (in pathways)
- MA Comparative Literature
- MA Translation Theory and Practice
- MA Gender, Society and Representation
- MA Film Studies