Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
UCL European Institute
What, if anything, can the experience of (research on) Eastern Europe say to us as we head towards Brexit? Lessons may lie above all in getting to grips with the tempo and nature of political change, its (un)predictability and likely channels.
1 August 2016
Starts: Aug 1, 2016 12:00:00 AM
On Thursday night, for the third time since January 2015, President François Hollande was faced with a mass murder on French soil. An ashen-faced Hollande, almost looking like a broken man, appeared on television on Friday at 4am and declared: “This is undoubtedly a terrorist attack; the whole of France is under the threat of an Islamic terrorist attack”.
18 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 18, 2016 12:00:00 AM
In addition to marking a politically decisive moment in British history, the campaigns in advance of the referendum on the UK’s membership in the EU were exciting objects of study for Classicists in terms of the political use of oratory.
11 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 11, 2016 12:00:00 AM
Research centres at UCL
Research on Europe and the European Union at UCL spans many departments and faculties, from the School of Public Policy to the Faculty of Laws, the School of Slavonic and East European Studies or the School of European Languages, Culture and Society.
Within these, a range of specialised centres are now dedicated to studying aspects of Europe and the European Union:
- Centre for Law & Governance in Europe
- Centre for European Politics, Security & Integration
- Centre for South-East European Studies
- Centre for the Study of Central Europe
- Centre for Multidisciplinary & Intercultural Inquiry (CMII)
- Centre for East European Language-Based Area Studies (a partnership of UCL and the universities of Oxford and Birmingham with a network of partners at other universities)
- Centre for Transnational History