Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL European Institute
The age-old question of what holds our societies together re-emerges periodically, particularly in times of crisis. In a world ever more globalised and virtual, the answer is often cast in terms of "trust", with its pivotal role as regularly called upon as its health called into question. How has trust risen to this centrality, and is it all as straightforward as it seems?
Dr Uta Staiger
13 August 2014
Starts: Aug 13, 2014 12:00:00 AM
Juncker’s nomination was not a sudden, not an unexpected and not even a distinct event. Neither does it spell
an end to the European Council’s dominance in constitutional politics or
make EU reform less likely.
Dr Christine Reh
2 July 2014
Starts: Jul 1, 2014 12:00:00 AM
As a closer look at the European
Parliament Elections in Central and Eastern Europe suggests, it may be
non-voting, rather than populist protest voting, which could prove the
long-term threat to sustainability of the EU’s troubled democratic
Dr Sean Hanley
2 June 2014 More...
Starts: Jun 2, 2014 12:00:00 AM
Research centres at UCL
Research on Europe and the European Union at UCL spans many departments and faculties, from the School of Public Policy to the Faculty of Laws, the School of Slavonic and East European Studies or the School of European Languages, Culture and Society.
Within these, a range of specialised centres are now dedicated to studying aspects of Europe and the European Union:
- Centre for Law & Governance in Europe
- Centre for European Politics, Security & Integration
- Centre for South-East European Studies
- Centre for the Study of Central Europe
- Centre for Multidisciplinary & Intercultural Inquiry (CMII)
- Centre for East European Language-Based Area Studies (a partnership of UCL and the universities of Oxford and Birmingham with a network of partners at other universities)
- Centre for Transnational History