Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL European Institute
The EU is faced with the challenges of fashioning practices and institutions that reconcile the conflicting demands on political representatives from their international partners and their domestic constituents. This has been particularly manifest in the eurozone recently, but it reflects a deeper challenge which also concerns non euro-area members such as the UK.
Prof Albert Weale (UCL SPP)
19 March 2015 More...
Starts: Mar 19, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Professor Laborde warns against the reactivist response to
the Paris murders: they misunderstand the role played by free speech and by laïcité. Further, they allow criminals to
set the term of the debate on how to better facilitate Muslim integration if
Professor Cécile Laborde
26 February 2015 More...
Starts: Feb 26, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Eeckhout revisits the question of EU reform, including different options for
and legal as well as political constraints of such reform.
Professor Piet Eeckhout
20 January 2015 More...
Starts: Jan 20, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Research centres at UCL
Research on Europe and the European Union at UCL spans many departments and faculties, from the School of Public Policy to the Faculty of Laws, the School of Slavonic and East European Studies or the School of European Languages, Culture and Society.
Within these, a range of specialised centres are now dedicated to studying aspects of Europe and the European Union:
- Centre for Law & Governance in Europe
- Centre for European Politics, Security & Integration
- Centre for South-East European Studies
- Centre for the Study of Central Europe
- Centre for Multidisciplinary & Intercultural Inquiry (CMII)
- Centre for East European Language-Based Area Studies (a partnership of UCL and the universities of Oxford and Birmingham with a network of partners at other universities)
- Centre for Transnational History