Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
UCL European Institute
On Thursday night, for the third time since January 2015, President François Hollande was faced with a mass murder on French soil. An ashen-faced Hollande, almost looking like a broken man, appeared on television on Friday at 4am and declared: “This is undoubtedly a terrorist attack; the whole of France is under the threat of an Islamic terrorist attack”.
18 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 18, 2016 12:00:00 AM
In addition to marking a politically decisive moment in British history, the campaigns in advance of the referendum on the UK’s membership in the EU were exciting objects of study for Classicists in terms of the political use of oratory.
11 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 11, 2016 12:00:00 AM
The left has good reasons to be critical of the EU in its current form.
But its problem was not that Labour and the unions didn’t address the question of immigration. Rather, they went into this battle with no vision, no plan and no ideas.
6 July 2016
Philippe Marlière More...
Starts: Jul 6, 2016 12:00:00 AM
Research centres at UCL
Research on Europe and the European Union at UCL spans many departments and faculties, from the School of Public Policy to the Faculty of Laws, the School of Slavonic and East European Studies or the School of European Languages, Culture and Society.
Within these, a range of specialised centres are now dedicated to studying aspects of Europe and the European Union:
- Centre for Law & Governance in Europe
- Centre for European Politics, Security & Integration
- Centre for South-East European Studies
- Centre for the Study of Central Europe
- Centre for Multidisciplinary & Intercultural Inquiry (CMII)
- Centre for East European Language-Based Area Studies (a partnership of UCL and the universities of Oxford and Birmingham with a network of partners at other universities)
- Centre for Transnational History