Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
UCL European Institute
The Czech Republic has been in the news recently because of its politicians' somewhat quick Celtic campaign to rebrand the country to the world as ‘Czechia’. But among political scientists and businesspeople the country's name has long suffered worst damage than this.
5 May 2016
Dr Sean Hanley
Starts: May 5, 2016 12:00:00 AM
The disputed territory of Nagorno-Karabakah has been caught in a tug-of-war between Armenia and Azerbaijan for decades. Internationally recognised as part of Azerbaijan, it’s home to an estimated 120,000 people, primarily ethnic Armenians, who want to separate from Azerbaijan. It’s been a de facto independent state since a fragile ceasefire was brokered in 1994, and low-level violence has flared up every spring ever since.
3 May 2016
Kristin M. Bakke
Starts: May 3, 2016 12:00:00 AM
The EU-Turkey deal should have no role in the Brexit debate, yet it
brings the crucial question of the European Union and migration into
focus at an inopportune time.
14 April 2016
Starts: Apr 14, 2016 12:00:00 AM
Europe and the Holocaust: Shifts in Public Debates in Poland, Germany and the United Kingdom
See below for videos of the presentations and discussion investigating shifts in the role of the Holocaust in European public debates in the recent past. Contrasting developments in Poland, Germany, and Great Britain, they identified common threads as well as differences in perceiving, presenting, memorizing the mass murder of European Jewries.
- Dr Ulrich Baumann: Deputy Director of the Stiftung Denkmal für die Ermordeten Juden Europas (Foundation to the Murdered Jews of Europe).
- Prof David Cesarani: Research Professor in history at Royal Holloway, University of London.
- Mr Ben Helfgott: MBE, D.Litt. Institute of Education, London, Dr.h.c. University of Southampton, Chairman of the Institute of Polish-Jewish Studies, Oxford and Chairman '45 Aid Society Holocaust Survivors.
- Dr Jacek Leociak: Member of the Institute for Literary Research at the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Chair: Dr François Guesnet: Reader of Modern Jewish History at the Department of Hebrew and Jewish Studies, UCL
Page last modified on 18 jan 13 16:21