Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL European Institute
The EU is faced with the challenges of fashioning practices and institutions that reconcile the conflicting demands on political representatives from their international partners and their domestic constituents. This has been particularly manifest in the eurozone recently, but it reflects a deeper challenge which also concerns non euro-area members such as the UK.
Prof Albert Weale (UCL SPP)
19 March 2015 More...
Starts: Mar 19, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Professor Laborde warns against the reactivist response to
the Paris murders: they misunderstand the role played by free speech and by laïcité. Further, they allow criminals to
set the term of the debate on how to better facilitate Muslim integration if
Professor Cécile Laborde
26 February 2015 More...
Starts: Feb 26, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Eeckhout revisits the question of EU reform, including different options for
and legal as well as political constraints of such reform.
Professor Piet Eeckhout
20 January 2015 More...
Starts: Jan 20, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Europe and the Holocaust: Shifts in Public Debates in Poland, Germany and the United Kingdom
See below for videos of the presentations and discussion investigating shifts in the role of the Holocaust in European public debates in the recent past. Contrasting developments in Poland, Germany, and Great Britain, they identified common threads as well as differences in perceiving, presenting, memorizing the mass murder of European Jewries.
- Dr Ulrich Baumann: Deputy Director of the Stiftung Denkmal für die Ermordeten Juden Europas (Foundation to the Murdered Jews of Europe).
- Prof David Cesarani: Research Professor in history at Royal Holloway, University of London.
- Mr Ben Helfgott: MBE, D.Litt. Institute of Education, London, Dr.h.c. University of Southampton, Chairman of the Institute of Polish-Jewish Studies, Oxford and Chairman '45 Aid Society Holocaust Survivors.
- Dr Jacek Leociak: Member of the Institute for Literary Research at the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Chair: Dr François Guesnet: Reader of Modern Jewish History at the Department of Hebrew and Jewish Studies, UCL
Page last modified on 18 jan 13 16:21