Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
If the principle of parliamentary sovereignty is to continue to have real meaning in Britain, the decision to leave the EU must be taken by parliament, not the government.
17 October 2016
Starts: Oct 17, 2016 12:00:00 AM
What, if anything, can the experience of (research on) Eastern Europe say to us as we head towards Brexit? Lessons may lie above all in getting to grips with the tempo and nature of political change, its (un)predictability and likely channels.
1 August 2016
Starts: Aug 1, 2016 12:00:00 AM
On Thursday night, for the third time since January 2015, President François Hollande was faced with a mass murder on French soil. An ashen-faced Hollande, almost looking like a broken man, appeared on television on Friday at 4am and declared: “This is undoubtedly a terrorist attack; the whole of France is under the threat of an Islamic terrorist attack”.
18 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 18, 2016 12:00:00 AM
EU & European Careers Event 2013
Publication date: Feb 19, 2013 11:39 AM
Mar 12, 2013 06:00 PM
End: Mar 12, 2013 08:00 PM
12 March 2013
The event organised by UCL European Institute & UCLU European Society offers students an overview over career options with EU institutions, UK civil service, and relevant private and third-sector organisations and provides an insight into access pathways and entry criteria. Speakers will give presentations during a 1h30min panel discussion and Q&A followed by a networking session.
- Elise Graham: Parliamentary Assistant to Shadow Minister for International Development Rushanara Ali MP.
- Dr. Christine Reh: UCL SPP Lecturer in European Politics; Programme Director MSc European Public Policy. She holds a PhD in Political and Social Sciences from the European University Institute in Florence, an MA in European Political and Administrative Studies from the College of Europe in Bruges and an MA in English Literature, Linguistics and Politics from the University of Trier. Christine previously worked as a teaching assistant at the College of Europe, as a research assistant at the Federal Trust in London and as an intern with the Permanent Representation of Germany to the European Union in Brussels.
- Marley Morris: Researcher at Counterpoint on the Recapturing Europe’s Reluctant Radicals project. He has an integrated Masters and BA in Maths and Philosophy from the University of Oxford. Prior to his work at Counterpoint Marley was at the Violence and Extremism programme at Demos where he researched on the ‘Populism in Europe’ project and the ‘Ageing across Europe’ project.
- John Evans: Staff translator with the Directorate-General for Translation – the translation service of the European Commission – working from French, Spanish, Portuguese and Polish. He currently works at the European Commission Representation in London where he is involved in a range of initiatives to promote language learning in the UK and raise awareness of opportunities for linguists within the European institutions. John has a BA (Hons) in French and Spanish from Cardiff University (1998) and a Postgraduate Diploma in Translating and Interpreting from Bath University (2000). Before joining the Commission in 2005 he worked as a linguist in the UK civil service and as a staff translator for a United Nations agency in Switzerland.
- Chaired by Millicent Scott: Millicent's background is in citizenship and political education. Before joining us she managed the Association for Citizenship Teaching for six years, producing educational materials and training teachers. She has also worked for the Scottish Civic Forum, the Scottish Government (Education department) and the Financial Times. Her academic qualifications are an MSc in Nationalism and Citizenship from the University of Edinburgh and a BA hons in European Studies from the University of London (LSE and KCL). She speaks English, Norwegian, German and French.
With the support of the Lifelong Learning Programme of the European Union.