Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
Starts: Oct 1, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Gëzim Krasniqi, Fellow at UCL’s School of Slavonic and East European Studies, traces the shifting routes chosen by refugees from Syria—and how the EU’s lack of a coordinated policy has been turning the Syrian tragedy into a European one. It has left the Balkan states with a refugee crisis impossible to master.
23 September 2015
Gëzim Krasniqi More...
Starts: Sep 23, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Through the stories of three generations in thirty families, Julia Brannen explores men's lives, migration, employment, fatherhood, father-son relationships and intergenerational transmission over the life course. As the worst refugee crisis since the Second World War unfolds across continents, she traces the stories of migrant generations that have gone before, of Irish grandfathers who left Ireland in the mid-20th century and Polish fathers who came to Britain in the 21st century, together with a group of white British
9 September 2015
Julia Brannen More...
Starts: Sep 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Eurocode 7 and New Design Challenges
Publication date: Nov 13, 2013 04:48 PM
Start: Mar 18, 2014 12:00 AM
18 March 2014
In collaboration with University College London, Arup are hosting the 2nd Workshop on Eurocode 7 and New Design Challenges the evening before the BGA Rankine Lecture.
18 March 2014, 5.00pm
Annual Workshop for Practitioners and Researchers
The Structural Eurocodes are design codes for buildings and civil engineering works and have been established as the current European Standards. They replaced the old National Standards and their use became mandatory across Europe in 2010. EN1997 or Eurocode 7 (EC7) is the European Standard for geotechnical engineering design. The code is based on the principles of limit state design and uses a partial factor format while a distinction is made between Serviceability Limit State (SLS) and Ultimate Limit State (ULS).
The next generation of geotechnical engineers (current graduates and young researchers) will use EC7 on a regular basis. This annual workshop aims to encourage young geotechnical engineers to engage with the new European safety codes and design methodologies. Talks by international experts involved in the development of EC7 are followed by presentations from designers about their experience with EC7 compliant design.
- Dr Brian Simpson (UK): Arup Fellow, a principal of Arup Geotechnics and an Honorary Professor at the University of Nottingham
- Dr Andrew Bond (UK): managing Director of Geocentrix Ltd; Chairman of CEN TC250/SC7, Vice-Chairman of European Technical Committee 10, implementation of Eurocode 7
- Adriaan Van Seters (Netherlands): Head of the Geotechnical and Geohydrological Department at Fugro Geoservices; Vice Chairman of TC250
- Dr Eric R Farrell (Ireland): Senior Geotechnical Consultant/Director at AGL Consulting
- Matthew Baldwin (UK): Technical Director for Soil Engineering Geoservices Ltd; visiting lecturer at Leeds University
- Dr Sebastien Burlon (France): Geotechnical engineer at IFSTTAR (French Institute of Science and Technology for Transport, Development and Networks); Secretary of the French Mirror Group for Eurocode 7 TC250-SC7, Member of the French Mirror Group for the Structural Eurocodes (TC250).
- To register, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information, visit: www.workshopec7.com/