Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
Theresa May's long-awaited Brexit speech must be understood as an aspiration, rather than a roadmap, since its realisation requires the consent of other parties and the removal of important contradictions, argues Benjamin Martill.
17 January 2017
Starts: Jan 17, 2017 12:00:00 AM
Uta Staiger, Executive Director of the
European Institute, comments on the German political and media responses after the Christmas market attacks, in a piece originally published by the New Statesman.
20 December 2016 More...
Starts: Dec 20, 2016 12:00:00 AM
Oliver Patel, Research Assistant at the European Institute, offers three reasons why the Brexit vote is worrying for London's tech community.
Oliver Patel (UCL European Institute)
19 December 2016
Starts: Dec 19, 2016 12:00:00 AM
Eurocode 7 and New Design Challenges
Publication date: Nov 13, 2013 04:48 PM
Start: Mar 18, 2014 12:00 AM
18 March 2014
In collaboration with University College London, Arup are hosting the 2nd Workshop on Eurocode 7 and New Design Challenges the evening before the BGA Rankine Lecture.
18 March 2014, 5.00pm
Annual Workshop for Practitioners and Researchers
The Structural Eurocodes are design codes for buildings and civil engineering works and have been established as the current European Standards. They replaced the old National Standards and their use became mandatory across Europe in 2010. EN1997 or Eurocode 7 (EC7) is the European Standard for geotechnical engineering design. The code is based on the principles of limit state design and uses a partial factor format while a distinction is made between Serviceability Limit State (SLS) and Ultimate Limit State (ULS).
The next generation of geotechnical engineers (current graduates and young researchers) will use EC7 on a regular basis. This annual workshop aims to encourage young geotechnical engineers to engage with the new European safety codes and design methodologies. Talks by international experts involved in the development of EC7 are followed by presentations from designers about their experience with EC7 compliant design.
- Dr Brian Simpson (UK): Arup Fellow, a principal of Arup Geotechnics and an Honorary Professor at the University of Nottingham
- Dr Andrew Bond (UK): managing Director of Geocentrix Ltd; Chairman of CEN TC250/SC7, Vice-Chairman of European Technical Committee 10, implementation of Eurocode 7
- Adriaan Van Seters (Netherlands): Head of the Geotechnical and Geohydrological Department at Fugro Geoservices; Vice Chairman of TC250
- Dr Eric R Farrell (Ireland): Senior Geotechnical Consultant/Director at AGL Consulting
- Matthew Baldwin (UK): Technical Director for Soil Engineering Geoservices Ltd; visiting lecturer at Leeds University
- Dr Sebastien Burlon (France): Geotechnical engineer at IFSTTAR (French Institute of Science and Technology for Transport, Development and Networks); Secretary of the French Mirror Group for Eurocode 7 TC250-SC7, Member of the French Mirror Group for the Structural Eurocodes (TC250).
- To register, please email: email@example.com
- For more information, visit: www.workshopec7.com/