Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
In a letter to the Financial Times, UCL's Professor of EU Law Piet Eeckhout outlines his bemusement at the current discourse on immigration in the UK.
Prof Piet Eeckhout
3 December 2014
Starts: Dec 9, 2014 12:00:00 AM
In the eurozone, the EU needs greater legitimacy at the national level not only to secure space for domestic politics but also to secure respect for social and economic commitments over time.
Prof. Albert Weale
24 November 2014 More...
Starts: Nov 24, 2014 12:00:00 AM
It's groundhog day in Britain, where the European Union is concerned. The context changes, but the basic issues do not.
Sir Stephen Wall
18 November 2014 More...
Starts: Nov 18, 2014 12:00:00 AM
Eurocode 7 and New Design Challenges
Publication date: Nov 13, 2013 04:48 PM
Start: Mar 18, 2014 12:00 AM
18 March 2014
In collaboration with University College London, Arup are hosting the 2nd Workshop on Eurocode 7 and New Design Challenges the evening before the BGA Rankine Lecture.
18 March 2014, 5.00pm
Annual Workshop for Practitioners and Researchers
The Structural Eurocodes are design codes for buildings and civil engineering works and have been established as the current European Standards. They replaced the old National Standards and their use became mandatory across Europe in 2010. EN1997 or Eurocode 7 (EC7) is the European Standard for geotechnical engineering design. The code is based on the principles of limit state design and uses a partial factor format while a distinction is made between Serviceability Limit State (SLS) and Ultimate Limit State (ULS).
The next generation of geotechnical engineers (current graduates and young researchers) will use EC7 on a regular basis. This annual workshop aims to encourage young geotechnical engineers to engage with the new European safety codes and design methodologies. Talks by international experts involved in the development of EC7 are followed by presentations from designers about their experience with EC7 compliant design.
- Dr Brian Simpson (UK): Arup Fellow, a principal of Arup Geotechnics and an Honorary Professor at the University of Nottingham
- Dr Andrew Bond (UK): managing Director of Geocentrix Ltd; Chairman of CEN TC250/SC7, Vice-Chairman of European Technical Committee 10, implementation of Eurocode 7
- Adriaan Van Seters (Netherlands): Head of the Geotechnical and Geohydrological Department at Fugro Geoservices; Vice Chairman of TC250
- Dr Eric R Farrell (Ireland): Senior Geotechnical Consultant/Director at AGL Consulting
- Matthew Baldwin (UK): Technical Director for Soil Engineering Geoservices Ltd; visiting lecturer at Leeds University
- Dr Sebastien Burlon (France): Geotechnical engineer at IFSTTAR (French Institute of Science and Technology for Transport, Development and Networks); Secretary of the French Mirror Group for Eurocode 7 TC250-SC7, Member of the French Mirror Group for the Structural Eurocodes (TC250).
- To register, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information, visit: www.workshopec7.com/