Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
UCL European Institute
What, if anything, can the experience of (research on) Eastern Europe say to us as we head towards Brexit? Lessons may lie above all in getting to grips with the tempo and nature of political change, its (un)predictability and likely channels.
1 August 2016
Starts: Aug 1, 2016 12:00:00 AM
On Thursday night, for the third time since January 2015, President François Hollande was faced with a mass murder on French soil. An ashen-faced Hollande, almost looking like a broken man, appeared on television on Friday at 4am and declared: “This is undoubtedly a terrorist attack; the whole of France is under the threat of an Islamic terrorist attack”.
18 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 18, 2016 12:00:00 AM
In addition to marking a politically decisive moment in British history, the campaigns in advance of the referendum on the UK’s membership in the EU were exciting objects of study for Classicists in terms of the political use of oratory.
11 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 11, 2016 12:00:00 AM
The European Institute is UCL’s hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL has an exceptional range of expertise in the key disciplines of European Studies. It covers the core subjects of European integration study, including law, politics, economics, and history, but adds to it an unrivalled span of research and teaching in European languages, literatures, philosophy and the arts, as well as on European geography and built environment, medicine and health, and the sciences.
Building on this foundation, the UCL European Institute works to stimulate new research and support multidisciplinary collaboration across the university. It acts as the one-stop access to UCL expertise on Europe and the EU, and provides a conduit between the university and policy-makers, civil society and the media. We offer a diverse programme of public events, provide expert analysis and commentary, build up networks and alliances and aim to provide an intellectually stimulating environment for researchers at all stages of their careers.
Our objectives are:
- to promote academic excellence in research on Europe and the European Union, facilitate collaboration across the disciplines and lead on new projects;
- to provide a leading forum for debate by convening events series, including workshops, panel discussions, conferences and public lectures;
- to deliver comments, analysis and briefings on topical subjects and long-standing questions relevant to Europe and European integration;
- to serve as liaison to EU and UK policy-making communities; research centres and specialised think tanks; cultural organisations, civil society and the media;
- to support doctoral and postdoctoral researchers working together on shared topics of interest;
- to provide a specialised port of call for faculty, students and the wider public for information on our research expertise, teaching and projects.
The European Institute is part of UCL's new Institute of Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences, founded in 2015.