Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
UCL European Institute
It is not clear that the EU is any less accountable than national governments.
29 June 2016
Ronan McCrea More...
Starts: Jun 30, 2016 12:00:00 AM
So the British people have voted with a margin of around 4%, a little
more than 1 million votes, to leave the European Union (EU). Where this
will lead lies somewhere between two absolutely contrasting scenarios.
29 June 2016
Paul Ekins More...
Starts: Jun 29, 2016 12:00:00 AM
A first round of reactions from UCL staff to the EU referendum results.
24 June 2016 More...
Starts: Jun 27, 2016 12:00:00 AM
The European Institute is UCL’s hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL has an exceptional range of expertise in the key disciplines of European Studies. It covers the core subjects of European integration study, including law, politics, economics, and history, but adds to it an unrivalled span of research and teaching in European languages, literatures, philosophy and the arts, as well as on European geography and built environment, medicine and health, and the sciences.
Building on this foundation, the UCL European Institute works to stimulate new research and support multidisciplinary collaboration across the university. It acts as the one-stop access to UCL expertise on Europe and the EU, and provides a conduit between the university and policy-makers, civil society and the media. We offer a diverse programme of public events, provide expert analysis and commentary, build up networks and alliances and aim to provide an intellectually stimulating environment for researchers at all stages of their careers.
Our objectives are:
- to promote academic excellence in research on Europe and the European Union, facilitate collaboration across the disciplines and lead on new projects;
- to provide a leading forum for debate by convening events series, including workshops, panel discussions, conferences and public lectures;
- to deliver comments, analysis and briefings on topical subjects and long-standing questions relevant to Europe and European integration;
- to serve as liaison to EU and UK policy-making communities; research centres and specialised think tanks; cultural organisations, civil society and the media;
- to support doctoral and postdoctoral researchers working together on shared topics of interest;
- to provide a specialised port of call for faculty, students and the wider public for information on our research expertise, teaching and projects.
The European Institute is part of UCL's new Institute of Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences, founded in 2015.