Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL European Institute
How do people use social media in different parts of the world, and what are the implications? Professor Daniel Miller explains what a team of anthropologists found by sending 15 months each in nine small towns all over the world, comparing social media use. You can engage with their research through a variety of free online resources including UCL’s first massive open online course (MOOC) starting on 29th February, a series of open access books published by UCL Press, and a short video.
25 November 2015
Daniel Miller More...
Starts: Nov 25, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Pablo Echenique is one of the five Podemos members
elected to the European Parliament in 2014, and currently running for
parliament in the upcoming Spanish general election. On Monday 26
October, he was scheduled to talk at the UCL European Institute, however the event had to be cancelled when he ran into difficulties at the UK Border. Here, he explains the full story…
2 November 2015
Starts: Nov 1, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Eva Hoffman, former editor of The New York Times and Visiting
Professor at the UCL European Institute, asks what propels individuals
to turn to extremist movements and argues that we need to build a
‘culture of democracy’ with shared norms and ethics.
22 October 2015
Eva Hoffman More...
Starts: Oct 22, 2015 12:00:00 AM
We are privileged to be able to count on the expertise, experience and advice of an external Advisory Board, whose members have distinguished careers in politics, the media, academia, think tanks and cultural institutes.
The Advisory Board is chaired by Sir John Birch, Chair of the UCL SSEES Advisory Board and former UK ambassador to Hungary.
- Dominic Brett, Head of Public Affairs, European Parliament Office in the UK
- Dame Nicola Brewer, UCL Vice Provost International
- Heather Grabbe, Director, Open Society Institute Brussels
- Charles Grant, Director, Centre for European Reform
- Damian Green MP, Member of Parliament for Ashford, Conservative
- Dr Kirsty Hughes, Writer and commentator on international and European affairs
- Georg Krawietz, Director, DAAD London
- Lord Roger Liddle, UK House of Lords, Policy Network
- Quentin Peel, Senior Fellow, Chatham House and former Foreign Editor, FT
- John Peet, Europe Editor, The Economist
- Martin Porter, Fellow and Member of the Executive Management Team, European Climate Foundation
- Magda Raczynska, Head of Literature, Polish Cultural Institute London
- Michael Shackleton, Visiting Professor, University of Maastricht. Former Head of the European Parliament Office in the UK
- Philip Souta, Head of UK Public Policy, Clifford Chance LLP
- Keir Starmer, Member of Parliament for Holborn and St Pancras, Labour
- Janet Zmroczek, Head of European Studies, British Library