Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
UCL European Institute
In the aftermath of the EU referendum a number of Central and South East
Europeanists wrote blogs reflecting on possible parallels between
Brexit and break-ups of multinational socialist states like Yugoslavia
and Czechoslovakia in early 1990s.
1 August 2016
Starts: Aug 1, 2016 12:00:00 AM
On Thursday night, for the third time since January 2015, President François Hollande was faced with a mass murder on French soil. An ashen-faced Hollande, almost looking like a broken man, appeared on television on Friday at 4am and declared: “This is undoubtedly a terrorist attack; the whole of France is under the threat of an Islamic terrorist attack”.
18 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 18, 2016 12:00:00 AM
In addition to marking a politically decisive moment in British history, the campaigns in advance of the referendum on the UK’s membership in the EU were exciting objects of study for Classicists in terms of the political use of oratory.
11 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 11, 2016 12:00:00 AM
We are privileged to be able to count on the expertise, experience and advice of an external Advisory Board, whose members have distinguished careers in politics, the media, academia, think tanks and cultural institutes.
The Advisory Board is chaired by Sir John Birch, Chair of the UCL SSEES Advisory Board and former UK ambassador to Hungary.
- Dominic Brett, Head of Public Affairs, European Parliament Office in the UK
- Dame Nicola Brewer, UCL Vice Provost International
- Heather Grabbe, Director, Open Society Institute Brussels
- Charles Grant, Director, Centre for European Reform
- Damian Green MP, Member of Parliament for Ashford, Conservative
- Kirsty Hughes, Associate Fellow, Friends of Europe, Brussels
- Georg Krawietz, Director, DAAD London
- Lord Roger Liddle, UK House of Lords, Policy Network
- Quentin Peel, Senior Fellow, Chatham House and former Foreign Editor, FT
- John Peet, Political Editor, The Economist
- Martin Porter, Fellow and Member of the Executive Management Team, European Climate Foundation
- Magda Raczynska, Head of Literature, Polish Cultural Institute London
- Michael Shackleton, Visiting Professor, University of Maastricht. Former Head of the European Parliament Office in the UK
- Philip Souta, Head of UK Public Policy, Clifford Chance LLP
- Keir Starmer MP, Member of Parliament for Holborn and St Pancras, Labour
- Janet Zmroczek, Head of European Studies, British Library