Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL European Institute
The EU is faced with the challenges of fashioning practices and institutions that reconcile the conflicting demands on political representatives from their international partners and their domestic constituents. This has been particularly manifest in the eurozone recently, but it reflects a deeper challenge which also concerns non euro-area members such as the UK.
Prof Albert Weale (UCL SPP)
19 March 2015 More...
Starts: Mar 19, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Professor Laborde warns against the reactivist response to
the Paris murders: they misunderstand the role played by free speech and by laïcité. Further, they allow criminals to
set the term of the debate on how to better facilitate Muslim integration if
Professor Cécile Laborde
26 February 2015 More...
Starts: Feb 26, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Eeckhout revisits the question of EU reform, including different options for
and legal as well as political constraints of such reform.
Professor Piet Eeckhout
20 January 2015 More...
Starts: Jan 20, 2015 12:00:00 AM
We are privileged to be able to count on the expertise, experience and advice of an external Advisory Board, whose members have distinguished careers in politics, the media, academia, think tanks and cultural institutes.
The Advisory Board is chaired by Sir John Birch, Chair of the UCL SSEES Advisory Board and former UK ambassador to Hungary.
- Dominic Brett, Head of Public Affairs, European Parliament Office in the UK
- Dame Nicola Brewer, UCL Vice Provost International
- Heather Grabbe, Director, Open Society Institute Brussels
- Charles Grant, Director, Centre for European Reform
- Georg Krawietz, Director, DAAD London
- Lord Roger Liddle, UK House of Lords, Policy Network
- John Peet, Europe Editor, The Economist
- Martin Porter, Fellow and Member of the Executive Management Team, European Climate Foundation
- Magda Raczynska, Head of Literature, Polish Cultural Institute London
- Michael Shackleton, Visiting Professor, University of Maastricht. Former Head of the European Parliament Office in the UK
- Philip Souta, Head of UK Public Policy, Clifford Chance LLP
- Janet Zmroczek, Head of European Studies, British Library
- Quentin Peel, Senior Fellow, Chatham House and former Foreign Editor, The Financial Times