Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL European Institute
Kira Gartzou, research assistant in European Studies, analyses the differences in views expressed by Syriza towards Europe, and in particular Germany, during its winning electoral campaign, and the views now portrayed in Syriza’s party newspaper since coming to power in January 2015. What implications may this have for the future of Greek negotiations with creditor institutions, and what is actually the mandate of the Greek government?
Dr. Kira Gartzou
25 June 2015 More...
Starts: Jun 25, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Young people in the UK today who are attracted to extremism are typically well educated. Given the weaknesses of this ideology in terms of its use of history, internal coherence of arguments and moral standards, its success with many educated young people requires explanation. The explanation, according to Dr. Farid, is multifaceted but education has a big role to play in curbing the trend.
2 June 2015
Dr. Farid Panjwani More...
Starts: Jun 2, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Christopher Bickerton, lecturer in Politics at the University of Cambridge, discusses how how the impending EU referendum in the UK necessitates open and unbiased academic debate, and how British discussions of EU reform may reverberate across the European continent.
15 May 2015
Dr. Christopher Bickerton More...
Starts: May 15, 2015 12:00:00 AM
We are privileged to be able to count on the expertise, experience and advice of an external Advisory Board, whose members have distinguished careers in politics, the media, academia, think tanks and cultural institutes.
The Advisory Board is chaired by Sir John Birch, Chair of the UCL SSEES Advisory Board and former UK ambassador to Hungary.
- Dominic Brett, Head of Public Affairs, European Parliament Office in the UK
- Dame Nicola Brewer, UCL Vice Provost International
- Heather Grabbe, Director, Open Society Institute Brussels
- Charles Grant, Director, Centre for European Reform
- Damian Green MP, Member of Parliament for Ashford
- Dr Kirsty Hughes, Writer and commentator on international and European affairs
- Georg Krawietz, Director, DAAD London
- Lord Roger Liddle, UK House of Lords, Policy Network
- Quentin Peel, Senior Fellow, Chatham House and former Foreign Editor, FT
- John Peet, Europe Editor, The Economist
- Martin Porter, Fellow and Member of the Executive Management Team, European Climate Foundation
- Magda Raczynska, Head of Literature, Polish Cultural Institute London
- Michael Shackleton, Visiting Professor, University of Maastricht. Former Head of the European Parliament Office in the UK
- Philip Souta, Head of UK Public Policy, Clifford Chance LLP
- Janet Zmroczek, Head of European Studies, British Library