Heads of Department must ensure that there are arrangements in place to identify and control the risks arising from work that is carried out while alone. The arrangements will include:
- a definition of normal working hours;
- a list of Departmental activities which must not be conducted while alone. See table 2 for guidance;
- authorisation of routine specified lone working activities;
- procedure for authorising non-routine lone working activities.
Line Managers must ensure that:
- non-routine lone working is avoided where possible;
- time spent lone working is planned;
- risk assessments for the work under their control indicate the additional control measures required if the work is carried out while alone;
- measures to control risk while working alone are implemented;
- risk assessments are reviewed.