News & Events
The EU Referendum on 23rd June is of huge significance for ESPS and the University sector in general. European Social and Political Studies at UCL has a long history of critical debate about the EU and about European politics within and beyond the European Union. Our degree programme, with its compulsory year abroad, depends largely on the thriving Erasmus and Erasmus Plus schemes. These offer guaranteed places for students to study at European Universities and enable our students to get secure, paid work placements with the addition of Erasmus mobility grants. It is important that all those eligible are registered to vote. You can make sure that you are registered to vote and organise your postal vote or proxy vote in plenty of time by following this link:
Voting in the UK
For the campaign launched by Universities UK, of which UCL is a member, see:
Outstanding Support for Teaching
ESPS is delighted to announce that Andrew King is one of three winners from across the university in this category of the UCLU Student Choice Teaching Awards in 2015. This award celebrates those individuals who have gone above and beyond to support teaching and learning.
For further information see here.
Andrew (centre) with Professor Michael Arthur, UCL President and Provost (on the right) and Lukmaan Kolia (Education and Campaigns Officer, UCLU)
ESPS student is joint-winner of the Staff Choice StAR of the Year Award
At the StARs annual reception on 4th June 2015 the winner of the UCL-wide Staff Choice StAR of the Year Award was announced.
The award has gone to two students (as joint winners), one of whom is Blandine Bénézit, an ESPS Finalist. Blandine will receive a glass trophy in the shape of a star and a framed certificate.
For further information see here.
UCL ESPS student wins Undergraduate of the Year, April 2015
The final of the national, annual TARGETjobs Undergraduate of the Year Awards event was held at Canary Wharf on 24th April 2015 and we’re delighted to say that the Male Undergraduate of the Year Award went to Harrison Dent who is studying European Social and Political Studies at UCL. The award was sponsored by L’Oreal and, through a series of online tests, application forms, interviews and assessment exercises, Harrison emerged as winner. He wins a summer internship, including a week in Paris, with L’Oreal.
Harrison collecting the award from Fiona Bruce (who hosted the awards) and Michel Brousset, Managing Director of L’Oreal UK.
NSS results 2014
ESPS achieved 97% student satisfaction in the area of teaching. Further details are in the UCL Newsletter.
Congratulations to the following ESPS academic staff who have been promoted with effect from 1st October 2014:
- Mark Hewitson, Professor of German History and Politics
- Mary Hilson, Reader in Nordic History
- Tom Stern, Senior Lecturer, Department of Philosophy
Awards, Citations & Nominations for ESPS students
- Sessional prizes are awarded to students with the highest academic performance in their year.
- The First Year Core Module prize is awarded to the student with the highest mark in the core module ESPS1001 Introduction to European History, Law, Philosophy & Politics.
- Dissertation prizes are awarded to students with the highest marks in the final year core module ESPS9001 The Dissertation.
- Candidates with an average mark of at least 70% in the courses used for the classification of their degree and 75% of their marks at 70% or above in the final two years of their degree are nominated for the Dean's List.
- The best finalist may be nominated for the Faculty Medal.
- One candidate from Year 1 and one from Year 2 is nominated for the Faculty Undergraduate Scholarship for Excellence.
- View full list of nominees and winners 2015
- View full list of nominees and winners 2014
- View full list of nominees and winners 2013
European Social and Political Research journal
Issues 14 & 15 are published. These issues include dissertations written by students who graduated in 2011 and 2012. The articles give an excellent indication of the range of subject areas and academic disciplines studied by ESPS students.