A new study lead by Prof Julienne Stroeve says year-to-year forecasts of the Arctic’s summer ice extent are not yet reliable.
Geophysical Field Equipment
- Location: Room OB01A, Basement, Kathleen Lonsdale Building
- Telephone Extension: 32372 or External: 020 7679 2372
- Laboratory Manager: Neil Hughes
General Conditions of Use:
Geophysics field equipment is available for use by qualified staff and students members of the London Colleges Geophysics Field Equipment Pool. Depending on demand & availability it may also be available for commercial hire by negotiation. (Varying terms and conditions apply.)
1. Management of the equipment is by Professor Peter Sammonds.
2. Bookings should be made by contacting Neil Hughes.
- For UCL members, extra insurance must be arranged when the equipment is taken off-site. This must be arranged through the departmental administrator (Mrs Celine Ahmed). You must provide an account code to which this is to be charged.
- For non-UCL members, insurance must be arranged by your institution. Any transit arrangements made for the equipment must be met by your institution’s insurance polices. Please notify your department of any arrangements made.
4. Priority for booking will be given in the following order:
1. Taught courses and taught field classes
2. Research projects by staff and students
3. Research projects in other UCL departments
5. Trained personnel only will be allowed to use the equipment.
6. Technical support will be provided by Neil Hughes. Serious problems can only be dealt with by the manufacturer.
7. Repairs. In the event of equipment being damaged it is the responsibility of the member of staff running or supervising project work to report any problems to Professor Peter Sammonds or Neil Hughes.
8. Equipment must be checked out and checked back in again by Neil Hughes
9. A small charge will be made for use, to be put towards equipment maintenance and upkeep.
10. Commercial hire rates are negotiable.
11. Separate conditions apply for the Ground Penetrating Radar
Members of The London Colleges Geophysics Field Equipment Pool may use this calendar as a quick check to see if equipment has already been booked for specific dates.
If your chosen dates are available, please confirm availability by emailing Neil Hughes as far in advance as possible with your request, stating:
Purpose and Location of where equipment will be used.