News from the Earth Sciences
- Planetary Geology: An Introduction
- Dr Katharine Giles - An Appreciation.
- Carbon in Earth
- Climate change clues from tiny marine algae - ancient and modern.
- Impact! Pop-up Exhibition
- BP Ultimate Fieldtrip 2013
- Cryosat spots Arctic sea-ice loss.
- In Memory of Professor Seymour Laxon
- Graduate Open Day
- Magnesium oxide might be liquid in super-Earths.
- Jeremy Bentham in the Rock Room
- Ocean in a High CO2 World.
- The Outstanding Young Scientist Award.
- Festival of Geology
- How a Changing Climate Triggers Earthquakes,Tsunamis and Volcanoes.
- IODP Expedition
- Curiosity at Mars
Thinking of studying earth sciences?
How a Changing Climate Triggers Earthquakes,Tsunamis and Volcanoes.
5 October 2012
"An astonishing transformation over the last 20,000 years has seen our planet flip from a frigid wasteland into the temperate world upon which our civilisation has grown and thrived. This most dynamic episode in Earth history saw the crust bouncing and bending in response to the melting of the great ice sheets and the filling of the ocean basins; triggering earthquakes, spawning tsunamis and provoking a lively response from the world’s volcanoes. Now there are signs that human-induced climate change is encouraging the sleeping giant beneath our feet to stir once again." more
Bill McGuire's new book: Waking the Giant: How a Changing Climate Triggers Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Volcanoes has been praised as one of best ‘eco’ books ever written. In an article for The Guardian, award-winning environmental journalist, Fred Pearce, ranks the book at number five in his top 10. See the full list in The Guardian.