- 130 research scientists and assistants who have graduated in various disciplines including biology, dentistry, economics, medicine, nursing, psychology, statistics & sociology.
- 40 people undertaking graduate studies and approx. 350 MBBS (Epidemiology) undergraduates.
- Staff total approximately 180. See People for biographical information
- The first Professor of Hygiene and Public Health at UCL was William Corfield (1843-1903)
(see Information for Students)
- Diploma, MSc and PhD programmes.
- MBBS Undergraduate programme.
- Short Courses- Statistical analysis methods - Prognosis: risk prediction for health outcomes.
- Seminar programmes (open to all - see Seminar / Events).
Research Groups, Data and Publications
(see Research Groups / Themes)
- Eleven major research groups within the department.
- Staff from these research groups, as well as from other UCL departments, contribute to the work of the UCL International Institute for Society and Health.
- Data is collected and analysed from many studies including the: MRC 1946 birth cohort, Whitehall II study of British Civil Servants, the English and Scottish Health Surveys, English Longitudinal Study of Ageing and Millennium Birth Cohort.
Location and Office Accommodation
(see Contact Us)
- Modern offices, laboratories and general purpose rooms - over five floors in one building.
- Close proximity to the main UCL and University of London sites and facilities, The British Library.
- Excellent public transport links.
The Department is part of the UCL Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care along with
- Applied Health Research
- Infection and Population health
- MRC Clinical Trials Unit
- Primary Care and Population Health
- British Government, through the Health Development Agency, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, and Department of Health and NHS Executive, NHS Information Centre, Food Standards Agency.
- Research Councils: Economic & Social Research Council, Medical Research Council, Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council and Diabetes UK.
- Research Charities: Wellcome, Cancer Research UK and the British Heart Foundation.
- Overseas and International agencies /organisations including the MacArthur Foundation, National Institutes of Health in the USA, the Canadian Ontario Worker's Programme, the European Union, the World Health Organisation, and the Australian Department of Health.
- A weekly tea/coffee session.
- End of year party.
- Staff/Student lunches.
Page last modified on 10 sep 14 11:51