Deadline: 5pm, Fri 20th Feb 2015
UCL Enterprise asks all UCL students and staff to help in honouring UCL’s enterprise activities by putting forth nominations for the 2015 Awards for Enterprise.
“Discovery to Use” Funding for Engineering and the Physical Sciences
This funding is intended to progress UCL research discoveries in Engineering and the Physical Sciences at the pre-commercialisation stage towards “real-world” use and benefit. It replaces Follow-on funding which was previously available from EPSRC.
Projects should demonstrate measurable impact to all partners and should preferably attract a contribution from the external partner. Projects will be prioritised where a matching funding contribution is provided by the partner organisations, with a target level expected of at least 1/3 of the requested EPSRC funding as a contribution (see guidance for lower thresholds of expected contribution for SMEs and non-commercial partners).
- Projects should have a clear knowledge transfer focus.
- Project partners must have a UK-based research presence.
- Project must be for work that has links to the EPSRC remit.
- Projects should demonstrate measurable impact to all partners and should attract a contribution from the external partner towards the project costs (see guidance).
- Project partners should provide written agreement of contribution at application and commit to sign a UCL Research Services approved contract if the project is awarded.
- The EPSRC-part of the project funding should come to £10k-50k for 3-18 months' duration.
- Applicants should seek support and approval from their Head of Department before they apply.
One third of the total funding required should come from third parties (see further guidance for details, exceptions and costing instructions). All direct costs, including PI time and other directly allocated costs can be covered; estates and indirect costs are not covered.
The application form, costing tool and guidance are available to download. To be accepted, submissions should include the completed application form, written agreement from the partner, and completed costing tool as well as a PDF of the pFACT costing submission report, bearing the signature of the Head of Department and departmental administrator. Completed submissions should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants must agree to this commitment and take part in the monitoring processes. Applicants must also engage with UCL Business and the research contracts office to ensure UCL’s IP is protected and its value maximised where appropriate.
Funds are dispersed using the usual UCL financial regulations and systems. Funds must be spent within the terms and conditions of the EPSRC meaning any unaccounted costs or under spends will be clawed back for re-use within further calls. Overspends are the responsibility of the department.
The next D2U submission deadline is 2 September 2013
Awards may be reviewed in confidence by members of the UCL community. The decision to award, suggest resubmission, or to decline rests with the Enterprise Steering Committee, following which applicants will be notified about any next steps.
Decisions will be communicated in the last week of September.
- Application form “Discovery to Use”
- Guidance “Discovery to Use” application
- “Discovery to Use” Costing tool