Summer School in English Corpus Linguistics 2014
Our second three-day Summer School in English Corpus Linguistics will run from Monday 7 July – Wednesday 9 July 2014.
Last year’s course was highly successful, and we had extremely positive feedback from those who attended — as the following sample comments indicate:
“I am amazed by your availability and helpfulness throughout the summer school. 4 tutors for 21 students, that is a support-ratio I have never had in my (university) education before. Maybe I should go to more summer schools.”
“I'm studying statistics in my university. So I think this lecture is very useful and I want to study hard.”
What did you learn that was most useful to you? “Difficult choice because each session offered a link to the next (admirably cohesive) and all were very useful — perhaps I'll opt for what I was least comfortable with, statistics.”
Aims and objectives of the course
- The Summer School is a primer in Corpus Linguistics for students of the English language. It is designed to be both accessible and inspiring!
- Attendees are taught by world-class researchers at the Survey of English Usage, UCL.
- Students are expected to have a basic knowledge of English linguistics and grammar.
- It will take place in the English Department of University College London, in the heart of Central London.
The Summer School will take place in Foster Court, University College London.
Other relevant information
- Booking form (£275 early registration price, £325 after 1 May 2014).
- Accommodation options:
- Maps and how to find UCL
- Students in full-time education: free copy of either ICE-GB or DCPSE (Student Licence).
- All other registrants: 25% off the Individual Licence for either
Conditions: Each applicant for the course is entitled to one copy of one corpus and a licence in their name. You can pay in advance using the credit card form or payment can be accepted by sterling cheque or credit card at the Summer School. The corpus will be provided in person at the Summer School for your security. For licence terms and general ordering information see the links below.
This timetable is provisional, but unlikely to change much.
This page last modified 28 January, 2014 by Survey Web Administrator.