Seminars and Events
The Economist’s Society is the official student society of the Economics Department at University College London. We are dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and are fuelled by a passion for the beauty of Economic theories. Backed by our esteemed department, we bring to UCL a series of distinguished speakers to share our interest in the constantly evolving world of Economics, and how it interacts with the areas of Politics, Psychology, Industries and the Environment. More than just an academic society, we strive to develop our stronghold at UCL with our inter-university conference and competitions, intra-departmental events and a line-up of socials for our Economics family.
The society has expanded substantially in the past year thanks to the efforts from the previous committee 13/14. The society is now structured with the following departments:
- Academic Events
- Key speakers for the Autumn Term include Olivier Blanchard (IMF), Kevin Daly (Goldman Sachs) and George Magnus (UBS).
- Social Events
- Key events include The Freshers Programme, The EU Journey, and The Annual David Ricardo Ball. There are plenty of socials throughout the year!
- External Relations
- Key events include The LSE-UCL Conference in November, The London Economics Policy Challenge in March, Career Events and inter-university socials.
- Key events include Beyond the Lecture Series, Insight to Postgraduate Study, Affiliate & Postgraduate student socials.
- The Drayton Tribune (DT)
- Key events include the official launch of the DT, Insights into Economic journalism and opportunities to feature your articles in our DT paper for the Economics community at UCL.
- Marketing & IT
- The success of our events depend on our Marketing & IT department as all our events are thoughtfully designed and advertised around.
- In addition to the generous funding support we receive from our department every year, the society also receives sponsorship from Economic consultancies and Think Tanks. As an academic society, we focus our sponsorship source from institutions that prioritise themselves in Economic research and academic development.
- Student Academic Representatives (StARs)
- These are Economics students that are elected by the year group to represent you in the Department, the Union and the University.
A further goal for the society this year is to improve the relationship between the alumni and current students. We seek to open up more avenues for communication between the two groups through our alumni events. As a new initiative, we will be starting a new alumni mentorship programme for 2nd/3rd/4th year undergraduates. For 1st years, we take an active role in the university’s mentoring scheme where 2nd year Economists will buddy up with a group of Fresher Economists to assist them in their new life at university.
As a young society with only 3 years of history, our Economist’s Society has grown up to one of UCL’s most dynamic and established societies on campus. To continue our success from previous years, the society will be recruiting first year officers in October 2014. We are open to all new initiatives that are beneficial to the Economics community, so The Economist’s Society could be the place for you to make your mark at UCL.
For further information, comments and suggestions email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.