Oral Surgery MClinDent
A full-time, two year Master's programme offering an understanding of applied clinical sciences and the concepts of oral surgery, with practical experience in dentoalveolar surgery.
Mode of study
- Full-time: 2 years
Tuition fees (2015/16)
- UK/EU Full-time: £23,690
- Overseas Full-time: £38,420
- All applicants: 9 January 2015
More details in Application section.
What will I learn?
The programme combines taught courses with a research component. Students attend teaching clinics, ward rounds, lectures, seminars, and carry out a piece of study leading to a project dissertation. There are supervised clinical and laboratory craft courses and the opportunity to observe at in-patient operating sessions.
Why should I study this degree at UCL?
Students benefit from the broad programme structure that includes operating sessions, outpatient clinics, lectures, demonstrations and seminars, and the use of special investigative techniques to illustrate the diagnosis and management of orofacial surgical disease.
Find out more about the programme on the institute's Oral Surgery MClinDent page.
Students undertake modules to the value of 360 credits. Year one: core modules (135 credits). Year two: core modules (135 credits) and a dissertation (90 credits).
All students undertake an independent research project which culminates in a dissertation.
Teaching and Learning
The programme is delivered through clinical and laboratory instruction on a one-to-one basis, seminar teaching, lectures, journal club, self-directed learning and problem-based learning.
Applicants must hold an approved dental qualification and have a minimum of two years' clinical experience.
Select your country for equivalent alternative requirements
English language proficiency level: Good
How to apply
Students are advised to apply as early as possible due to competition for places. Those applying for scholarship funding (particularly overseas applicants) should take note of application deadlines.
The deadline for applications is 9 January 2015.
Who can apply?
The programme is suitable for students who wish to gain theoretical knowledge and practical experience in the field of Oral Surgery, and gain academic skills in clinical research. It provides appropriate preparation for the Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery (MFDS and MJDF) and higher surgical training.
What are we looking for?
When we assess your application we would like to learn:
- how your academic and professional background meets the demands of this programme
- why you want to study Oral Surgery at graduate level
- what particularly attracts you to this programme at the EDI
- what is your source of funding and is this something you have applied for already
- what is your previous experience in oral surgery
- what is your aim after completion of this Master's degree and how do you expect this qualification to help you
The programme aims to offer education and training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery that will provide a sound foundation for specialist practice and progression towards higher surgical training. All UCL Certificate, Diploma and Masters level taught programmes are now approved by the Faculty of General Dental Practice (UK) for accreditation towards its Career Pathway. Specialist Training Programmes incorporate the relevant university qualification (MClinDent/MSc) and provide approved training in preparation for the membership examination of the Royal Colleges.
Top career destinations for this programme
- UCL, PhD, 2011
- Queen Mary, University of London, PhD, 2011
- Bristol, Senior House Officer in Oral Surgery/Oral Medicine, 2011
- University Hospital of Dundee, Senior House Officer in OMFS, 2012
- Great Ormond Street Hospital, Research Fellow in Craniofacial Surgery, 2013
- St Peter's Hospital, Ashford, Speciality Doctor in Maxillofacial Surgery, 2014