Oral Health and Performance in Sport – Learning from London 2012
15 April 2014
The first ever symposium on oral health and performance in sport took place at UCL on Friday 4 April 2014, organised by UCL Eastman Dental Institute and the Institute for Sport, Exercise & Health.
The day attracted a wide range of attendees and speakers from the fields of oral health and elite sport, including:
- key players in elite sport funding and policy including the English Institute of Sport,
- athletes including Olympic gold medallist Mark Hunter and Saracens RFC tight-head prop Petrus de Plessis,
- Team GB medics, coaching and physiotherapy representatives from medal-winning sports including boxing, rowing, cycling and canoeing,
- oral health and sports and exercise medicine researchers,
- team dentists from Manchester City and Manchester United,
- representatives from the USA Academy for Sports Dentistry,
- alongside the previously published list of expert speakers.
The symposium has led to a consensus statement that will be published jointly by sports medicine and oral health journals, whilst the event attracted national radio coverage and was prominently featured on the BBC news website.
UCL Eastman Dental Institute is currently offering a PhD studentship in Oral health and performance of elite athletes, as well as CPD short courses in Sports Dentistry and Sports Dentistry: Mouthguards.