News from the Earth Sciences
- Postgraduate Taught Prize Winner 2014
- Prof Tom Barnard
- NERC: The Long-term Co-Evolution of Life and the Planet
- ERC grant: Dr Anjali Goswami for research in evolution and vertebrate diversity
- 2015 Careers Fair - 29th January
- Geophysics Price Medal awarded to Prof Brodholt
- World's Biggest Landslide Floated Like a Hovercraft
- Arctic sea ice level recovery in 2014
- NERC funded PhD Opportunities
- MSci students join international research project in Chile.
- Science meets Theatre to talk about Climate
- Festival of Geology 2014
- ESA High Level Science Policy Advisory Committee
- The Neftex Earth Model Award:
- Co-evolution of Life and the Planet Conference
- Marvellous maps
- NERC Grant: The Seismic Cycle
- Sustainable Resource Development
- Fresher's Induction Week
- International Carbon Conference 2014
- TomCaT Job Opportunity
- Deep Carbon Summer School
- Alpha & Lomonosov Ridge Expedition 2014
- Oxygen burrowed away
- 2014 Sino-UK Summer School
- Nordic Noir: Secrets of the Ash.
2014 Sino-UK Summer School
6 August 2014
The 2014 Sino-UK Coevolution of Life and the Planet Summer School, which was held in Nanjing Institute of Geology and Palaeontology (NIGPAS), Chinese Academy of Sciences, from 5th July to 11th July, has ended successfully. More than 40 participants took part from Maryland University (USA), University College London (UK) and 12 Chinese institutions.
The three main convenors were Professor Maoyan Zhu from NIGPAS, and two members of staff from the Department of Earth Sciences, UCL: Professor Graham Shields and Ms Ying Zhou.
The purpose of 2014 Sino-UK Coevolution of Life and the Planet Summer School is to provide graduate students and early career postdoctoral researchers from relevant fields with an overview of state-of-the-art and hands-on paleoenvironmental research under the general focus of Coevolution.
The school was funded by Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology funded 973 Project ‘Coevolution of Life and Environment around 600 myr ago’, NERC funded Research Programme: ‘Long Term Coevolution of Life and the Plane’, Chinese Natural Science Foundation (NSFC), State Key Laboratory of Palaeobiology and Stratigraphy.
For more information, please visit www.lifeandplanet.net.