St Pancras Gardens
St. Pancras Old Church & Garden: An Educational Resource
This resource for schools is designed to support teaching and learning about rocks and weathering for the following:
- Science at Key Stages 3 and 4
- Geography at GCSE and AS level
Additional information about the people buried here and some of the places associated with them provide additional interest and value to the visit.
Comments and suggestions: We welcome your comments and would be pleased to be advised of any inaccuracies. Please contact Dr. Wendy Kirk, Department of Earth Sciences, University College London.
This resource has been researched and designed by Frances Cooper, Department of Earth Sciences, University College London. We are grateful to the Friends of UCL for supporting this venture.
Key references used in discussing gravestone weathering in this resource are given at the end of that section rather than within the text.
How To Use This Resource
This resource provides field sites and background information for use within areas of the curriculum concerned with different rock types and how they weather. The site incorporates the following information:
- Introduction to the site and access
- An overview of individual memorials, their rock types and how they weather
- Gravestone weathering, incorporating background information on different weathering factors, and how weathering affects different rock types and lettering on inscriptions
- Glossary of rock types, minerals and fossils
- Exercises, designed to cater for GCSE science and geography, although they may be adapted for different levels
The Rox Box is a loans box available for teachers. It contains three sets of examples of twelve different rock types, and is appropriate for use at key stages 3 or 4, in preparation for a visit to St. Pancras Old Church and Gardens.
For further information and to book a loan, please contact
Dr. Wendy Kirk, Department of Earth Sciences, UCL.