Introduction to Ear Care and Micro-Suctioning: 15 & 16 September 2017
Course organisers: Ghada Al-Malky & Sherif Khalil
This two-day course is designed to cover many aspects of aural care including theoretical knowledge and practical training in wax removal by micro-suctioning. It is designed to introduce practitioners with limited experience in aural care but who are interested in widening their scope of practice.
Who would benefit from this course?
This course is suitable for audiologists, registered hearing aid dispensers, nurses, health care assistants, primary care practitioners or any healthcare professional interested in providing aural care to their patients.
Aim/Objectives of the course:
The course is designed to cover a wide range of theoretical knowledge (Day 1) starting from understanding the anatomy and physiology of the ear, learning about common ear pathologies and identifying red flags that necessitate specialist care to learning important aspects of setting up an aural care service and technique of wax removal through micro-suctioning. The practical aspect of the course (Day 2) will include hands-on practice within actual outpatient clinics in one of the most famous and oldest specialist ENT hospitals in the UK, the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital (RNTNE). The training will be provided by specialist ENT consultants/ registrars and specialist nurses with many years of clinical experience.
The 2 days will be split into
- Day 1: Theory
- Day 2: Practical elements
Topics covered will include:
- Anatomy of the ear and Otoscopic examination
- Common pathological conditions requiring aural care
- Red flags and warning signs
- How to set up an Ear Care clinic
- Shared experience of an audiologist widening her scope of practice to include ear care at the Royal London NHS Hospital
- Practical hands-on training for wax removal using micro-suctioning
- Practical training with video-otoscopy and simulation head
Speakers will include:
- Dr Ghada Al-Malky
- Mr Simon Gane
- Mrs Angela Griggs
- Mr Charlie Huins
- Mrs Mary Kelly
- Mr Sherif Khalil
- Miss Seema Patel
- Mr Alex Stanciu
- TBC (manufacturer representative)
Please note this is a draft timetable and is subject to change.
This course was accredited with 11 CPD points by the BAA in 2015.
Fees & book now
- £485 standard rate TBC
- Payment for this course must be made via the UCL Store at least 2 working days before the start of the course.
NB: Your place on the course is not secured until payment has cleared.
- Limited spaces available on the course (max 32)
This course does not provide a certificate of competence to the attendees and any clinical practice using the skills taught through this course has to be agreed by the clinical leads with the appropriate insurance provided.