Counselling for Hearing Healthcare Professionals
Term 2 (Monday afternoons over 10 weeks 08 Jan - 12 March 2018)
Lecturer: Ms Lucy Handscomb
This 10 week, highly interactive course aims to enable practitioners at all levels to improve the quality of their day-to-day interaction with patients/ clients and their families through the use of good counselling skills. Participants will learn about and practice key counselling skills such as active listening, reflection and effective use of questioning and challenging and there will be ample opportunity to discuss tricky situations. Some basic training in cognitive behavioural therapy will also be provided.
• Different approaches to counselling
• Verbal and non- verbal listening skills
• Questioning and challenging techniques
• The basic principles of cognitive behavioural therapy
• Working with people in distress
• How to use counselling skills in audiological practice
• Working within professional boundaries
• Recognising when onward referral is needed
• Evaluating one’s own performance as a counsellor.
Our aims are to enable you to:
- Compare different approaches to counselling
- Use a range of verbal and non-verbal listening skills
- Use questioning and challenging techniques in a helpful manner
- Describe the principles of cognitive behavioural therapy
- Understand how motivational interviewing can be used to facilitate change
- Discuss the relevance of counselling skills in audiological practice
- Recognise when onward referral is needed
- Critically evaluate your own performance as a counsellor
This is an interactive course with few formal lectures. Learning takes the form of facilitated discussion and role- play. Sessions are led by a hearing therapist with additional input from a clinical psychologist.
- Timetable will be added soon
- We have also applied for points from BAA and RCP but these have not yet been confirmed (in 2012 the course received 18 and 12 from respectively)
- Accredited by the BAA for the Higher Training Scheme
|Cost of masterclass||£580|
The Counselling masterclass can only be booked as a full course (i.e. there will be no 1 day, 2 day etc options).
- Payment via UCL Store must be made at least 2 working days before the start of the course
- In order to secure your place using a purchase order, these must be received at least 3 weeks before the start of the course
NB: Your place on the course is not secured until payment has cleared.