- Professor Martin Birchall UCL carries out landmark Voicebox Transplant
- Prof Schilder awarded HIHR Professorship
- Joel Joseph's experience taking part in the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony
- Jonathan Fishman receives MRC Centenary Award for £44,612
- Prof Ashmore's Royal Society Speech at Sir Andrew Huxley Memorial Event
- Announcing the launch of the ABCIT 3 year research project
- Jonathan Fishman receives the RSM Laryngology Research Prize and RSM-Wesleyan Young Trainee of the Year
- Work Experience Day
- How your hearing aid could stop you getting dementia
- MSc Advanced Audiology Graduation Day 2013
- $4.4 Million grant: California stem cell agency funds UC Davis - UCL tissue-engineering research
- Royal Visit
- Prof Li Zhang seminar
- Jonathan Fishman Grant
- Spotlight on Professor Valerie Lund
- Recent grant success at the Ear Institute
- PhD updates
- Louisa Murdin is interviewed about vertigo for BBC Radio 4
- Request for volunteers
- Sound Seekers Radio 4 appeal
Work Experience Day
20 February 2013
Yesterday, the Ear Institute welcomed 30 year 10 & 11 students from 3 London Schools. They took part in a workshop designed to get students interested in persuing a career in health sciences...
The school work experience was for Year 10 and 11 students from Paddington, Burlington Danes and Kings Dale schools and was part of a whole week of work experience run through a company called Excitec.
We introduced them to the new BSc Healthcare Science programs in Audiology, Cardiology and Neurophysiology in conjunction with our colleagues at Middlesex University who are running these courses in London.
There were many fun activities like
- recording how loud their mp3 players were using the ‘Sound Head’ form Action on Hearing Loss,
- making their own ear impressions using rubber ears,
- listening to sounds through hearing aids,
- measuring their blood pressure,
- recording EEGs and ECGs and understanding how they work,
- learning different balance tests and how the ear is related to balance etc.
They had quizzes and speed tests and were given prizes for the quickest people to complete a word search.
The feedback was generally very positive and we hope todo more Work Experience Days like this in the future!
Page last modified on 20 feb 13 14:21