Welcome to the Ear Institute's seminar calendar. We aim to keep this calendar as up to date as possible so please check back regularly for details of more confirmed Ear Talks.
21 September, 2015 - Whole earth?
Time: 07:00:00 - 21:00:00
Organised by Built Environment - The Bartlett
Whole earth? is based on the premise that the future belongs to today's young people and that students and universities everywhere can play a major role in making society more sustainable. This exhibition of images by Mark Edwads provides the kind of evidence that students need to join the debate about their future. Join the debate #studentearth
Location: Gordon Square Garden, , , London, WC1H 0PQ
Contact: Kiran Dhillon
Phone: +44 (0)20 3108 5935
9 October, 2015 - External Seminar: Corticocortical interactions in congenital deafness
Time: 13:00:00 - 14:00:00
Organised by UCL Ear Institute
Corticocortical interactions in congenital deafness: Peter Hubka, Prasandhya A. Yusuf, Jochen Tillein, Rüdiger Land, Peter Baumhoff & Andrej Kral Congenital sensory deprivation causes substantial alterations of auditory function in the primary auditory cortex (Kral, 2013, Neuroscience). Stimulation through a cochlear implant compensates for these deficits (Kral & Sharma, 2012, Trends Neurosci; Kral & O’Donoghue, 2010, New Engl J Med), provided stimulation is within an early sensitive period for auditory plasticity (Kral et al., 2013, Brain; Kral & Sharma, 2012, Trends Neurosci).
Location: Main Seminar Room, UCL Ear Institute, 332 Grays Inn Road, London, WC1X 8EE
Contact: Roland Schaette
Types of seminar
We have several seminars/discussion groups which run regularly, these are:
- External Seminars: Guest speakers from other institutions around the world are invited to speak about recent breakthroughs they've made in hearing research. (Takes place every third Thursday at 1pm in the CAR seminar room)
- Work in Progress (WIP) Seminars: These reports are a chance for members of the Ear Institute to catch up on any exciting new developments that other members are currently working on. (Takes place every third Thursday at 1pm in the CAR seminar room)
- Grand Rounds: Clinical interest seminars which take place every Wednesday morning in the RNTNEH
- Cochlear Nonlinear Processing Interest Group: A discussion group for people with research interests in the interpretation of physiological and psychophysical estimates of nonlinear processing at the peripheral level of the auditory system. (These take place roughly every 2 - 3 weeks) (hosted by Ifat and Torsten)
- Audiology Seminars: Guest speakers from the Ear Institute and other institutions are invited to speak about the important topics affecting clinical audiology. (Takes place on the first Tuesday of every month during term time)
- Auditory Central Nervous System (CNS) Journal Club: Each week a member of the Institute presents a short summary of their current research followed by a presentation on any topic related to the auditory brain, be it a journal article, review of the state of the literature, or an in-depth discussion of their own work. (Takes place every Tuesday at 10:30)
- Cochlear Implant group: takes place bimonthly (every two months) for people interested in clinical research into Cochlear Implantation
Page last modified on 30 nov 11 09:38