UCL Dutch : Study Dutch in London!
- UCL Dutch home
- Departmental News
- About the department
- Why Study Dutch?
- Undergraduate degrees
- Graduate degrees
- Research degrees
- Short courses
- Writer in Residence
- Dutch Studypacks
- Alumni of UCL Dutch
- FAQs and Answers
- Contact us
- Beacon for Public Engagement Award for Dutch Walks in London
Nick obtained his PhD in Dutch Cultural Studies from UCL in 2011, looking at the cultures surrounding football in Rotterdam and Amsterdam between 1910 and 1920. The study provided a representation of various aspects of footballing cultures incorporating studies of the media, concepts of morality, historical geography, education, and individual histories.
Areas of Academic Interest
- Sport History and Culture
- Approaches to the writing and presentation of History: in particular, Postmodernism, Relativism and Deconstructionalism
- Theoretical approaches to Cultural Studies: in particular, De Certeau, Bourdieu and Postmodern concepts.
- Identity and Nationalism
- The Netherlands in the Interbellum.
- PIERCEY, N., ‘Football Grounds, Memory and Cultural History in Amsterdam and Rotterdam from 1910 to 1920: The Football Stadium and Ground as a Historical Resource’, in Herzog, M.,(Ed.), Memorialkultur im Fußballsport: Medien, Rituale und Praktiken des Erinnerns, Gedenkens und Vergessens., Irseer Dialoge. Kultur und Wissenschaft Interdisziplinar, Band 17, (Stuttgart: Kohlhammer, 2013) pp. 287-309
- PIERCEY, N., ‘Investment, Advertisement, and Sponsorship: Business in Dutch Football 1910-1920’, in Dutch Crossing: Journal of Low Countries Studies, Volume 35, Number 1, March 2011, pp. 89-104.
Teaching at UCL
In 2013/14 Nick will be teaching the following courses:
- DUTC1101: Born out of Rebellion: The Low Countries from the Dutch Revolt to the eve of World War I
- DUTC2101: At the Crossroads of Europe: Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg in the 20th and 21st centuries
- DUTC4205: Contemporary history and culture of the Low Countries
Page last modified on 06 aug 13 23:40 by Nick A Piercey