News from UCL Dutch


UCL Dutch undergraduate prospectus

undergraduate (BA)


postgraduate (MA/Research)

[external source element is broken]
error message: 496878353
UCL Arts & Humanities Open Day - Modern languages - Dutch
Bookmark and Share

Certificate of Dutch as a Foreign Language (CNaVT) examinations 2013

5 March 2013

CNAVT logo

The UCL Department of Dutch is organising the Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal (CNaVT) exams in April–May 2013. The CNaVT is the official, international exam of Dutch as a Foreign Language by the Nederlandse Taalunie (Dutch Language Union, the Dutch-Flemish-Surinamese equivalent to the British Council).

By passing an exam a language learner proves that he or she has mastered enough Dutch to be able to speak it, listen, read and write in certain contexts. 

There are exams on different levels and if you pass them, you receive a certificate that is recognised by Dutch and Flemish organisations and educational institutions.

People learn Dutch for a variety of reasons: to go on holiday in the Netherlands or Belgium for example. Or to study, live or work in a Dutch-speaking environment. For this reason the CNaVT has developed different profile exams. The language learner can choose which profile (exam) suits his or her needs best. One can make a choice out of the following:

Profile tourist and informal language proficiency

For those who want to maintain social contacts with their Dutch-speaking family or friends. Also for those who want to demonstrate that they can manage as a tourist in a Dutch-speaking area, or for those who want to communicate with Dutch-speaking tourists in a non-professional context in their own country.

Profile societal language proficiency

For those who have an interest in the Dutch language and culture or want to live in the Netherlands or Belgium for an extended period of time.

Profile professional language proficiency

For those who would like to work in an administrative or service-oriented profession and therefore need Dutch (e.g. as a secretary or bank employee).

Profile language proficiency higher education

For those who would like to study at a Dutch-speaking college of higher education or university.

Profile academic language proficiency

For those who have neared completion of their education in Dutch as a foreign language or for those who would like to teach Dutch as a foreign language. It is also for people who want to work in a Dutch-speaking academic environment, e.g. as a researcher.

Page last modified on 05 mar 13 15:21 by Ulrich Tiedau