Mid GreenBright blueOrange

Financial Support

Disabled Students' Allowance

If you are a student with UK citizenship and you have a disability or medical condition then you may be eligible for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA).

The following video playlist explains more about the process and what to expect. You can cycle through the videos on the top left of the video pane and subtitles can be toggled on the bottom right. If you do not find the information you are looking for then please feel free to contact us. 

The process for applying varies depending on how your course is funded:

  • Students with an NHS bursary should complete this form - NHS DSA Application Form
  • Students with research council funding should contact one of our advisers in order to make an application.
  • All other students should complete this form - SFE DSA Application Form

Other Forms of Financial Support 

Students can contact the Student Funding Welfare Adviser for advice and guidance on the other forms of financial support available to disabled students:

  • Mitesh Vagadia


The Snowdon Award Scheme provides grants to physically impaired students to help them make the most of further or higher education or training.

The Mike Devenney Scholarship helps disabled students, both undergraduate and postgraduate with some of the costs of studying at higher education institutions.

Birkdale Trust for Hearing Impaired offers financial grants to young people who have a hearing impairment and are residents of the UK.

The Gallaudet Graduate Fellowship provides funds for Deaf or hard of hearing students studying at graduate level 

The Directory of Grant Making Trusts (published by the Charities Aid Foundation) is available in many public libraries and contains information about possible sources of funding.